Lauma's Reviews > Locomotion

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

bookshelves: poetry

*Novel in Verse
*Recommended for ages 10 - 14
*Locomotion was honored by many state and national awards such as: National Book Award finalist, Coretta Scott King Honor, and 2003 Horn Book Award (Fiction-Honor)
*Jaqueline Woodson has also earned awards for many of her other books, including the 2006 Margaret A. Edwards Award for Lifetime Achievement.

Locomotion is a very accessible story told in verse, with each chapter poetically sharing the thoughts and feelings of an eleven year old boy whose real name is Lonnie Collins Motion. Lonnie and his seven year old sister were forced to live in separate foster homes after a tragic accident took the lives of both of his parents. Filled with mixed emotions, Lonnie's English teacher, Ms. Marcus, encourages him to express his feelings through poetry--something which he is very good at.

This novel in verse is a tender reflection of a boy's painful loss, attempt to accept change, and determination to reconnect with his sister. It is rich with themes of family, identity, race, boundaries, love, and friendship. The poetry is simple, understated, and insightful. Older children will find many ways to connect with this story and it offers many great discussion points. Highly recommended!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locomotion.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by MissDziura (new)

MissDziura This sounds like a very powerful text, and I am glad you said it is accessible for readers. I have found that older readers especially find it difficult to "get into," poetry so a book like Locomotion that comes across as less intimidating to readers is a very good thing. Do you think some readers would be uncomfortable with some of the content, or is it apporpriate if given the proper context?

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha This sounds like a great story. My initial feeling is that students would connect with it even if their family was intact. I think the fear of a separated family would help students create a connection to the main character.

I'll have to read this one with some tissue, won't I?