Carrie Mansfield 's Reviews > Almost Demon

Almost Demon by AJ Salem

bookshelves: 99-cent-book-sale

Two reviews in as many days! And yes, I read this book in like three hours and change. After the bit of a slog that Thief's Magic was, and knowing that the next several books I'm going to be doing are ARCs, I wanted to pick something that would be fun to read and preferably YA (for the easier read). Although I couldn't remember what the story was supposed to be about I love the cover and the title just kept calling out to me so I decided to read this.

I read the first 5% at break. I finished maybe another chapter or two at lunch. I finished the rest after work. It was fast, it was breezy, and it was fun. It's a nice mix of the kind of high school drama you could expect after the unexpected death of several popular students and a magic system that, while nothing radically new, at least had enough flourishes to make it feel a bit fresh.

You can see at least one of the twists regarding the real identities of one of the players coming, but it isn't too obvious and you're still not exactly sure of whom is whom on all the major players at the end of this book.

While this isn't the kind of book that focuses on character development, Gemma is a nice enough MC and the relationship between her and Charlotte feels good and legit; you can buy that these two really are friends. There is a mean-girl/bullying aspect of it, but at least the person behind it isn't a bitch because the plot demands it, but at least has a reason for it and there is some resolution there which is nice too.

This book doesn't attempt to reinvent the paranormal YA wheel and it doesn't need to, it knows what it wants to do and it does it well. If a sequel comes out (as of writing this review I can't find anything definitive) I'll definitely give it a look.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost Demon.

May 14, 2014 – Shelved