chucklesthescot's Reviews > The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Mar 12, 2010

bookshelves: asian, fiction, made-me-cry, 5-star-reads, contemporary

** spoiler alert ** Before the days of the Taliban, Afghan boys used to fight their kites, and when one falls, the children race to find the kite and claim it for themselves. Amir wants to impress his father by winning, and his servant's son Hassan, Amir's friend and protector, goes after the losing kite. But something horrific happens to the two boys that cannot be discussed, and Amir destroys their friendship. Now years on Amir is forced to return to Afghanistan to pay his debt to Hassan.

*WARNING. ALL OF THE BOOK'S MAIN PLOTS ARE DISCUSSED BELOW. MASSIVE SPOILERS*

Amir seems a selfish boy who only puts up with Hassan for his usefulness, always thinking of him as inferior but this is a product of accepted social status rather than Amir just being nasty. You do however feel sympathy for Amir, despite his faults, who is just a boy wanting acceptance from his father.

Poor Hassan, a kind and sweet boy who would do anything for Amir, is gang raped by older boys which Amir witnessed. In the aftermath, Amir can't bear to even look at poor Hassan and concocts a fake theft to get Hassan and his father fired. I cried for everything that Hassan went through including the betrayal of his friend. It really broke my heart.

And if I thought that was heartbreaking, there was worse to come when Amir goes back to Afghanistan. I sobbed finding out that Hassan had been murdered trying to defend Amir's old home, and that his child had been taken as a plaything for the Taliban.

I swear I lost count of the number of tears that I shed in this book as Amir tried to save the boy to make amends to his dead friend. It was beautifully written, the characters were well developed and real to you, and the plot was wonderfully woven into the troubled times in Afghanistan as the Taliban rose to power. I recommend this book so highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.

03/02/2016 marked as: read