C.G. Drews's Reviews > Princess of Thorns

Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay

May 14, 2014

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2015, epic-fantasy, read-2015, retelling, young-adult, audio-books

So basically my feelings can be summed up with --> FSJKALIUEWIIUQQWQWQQQ2121!!!!!!QQWQWQQQQ I LOVE IT. And that is intelligent and eloquent and you're so welcome. But seriously. SERIOUSLY, PEOPLES. How had I never been recommended this book before?!?! How did it take me so long to eat this entirely wonderful deliciousness??!?! THIS IS ONE OF MY NEW FAVOURITE BOOKS OF EVER. *hyperventilates quietly in the background* It's epic fantasy, magic, fighting, sassy and winter banter, siblings, an OTP that mostly hates but loves each other, and curses and evil and and and and....I freaking love it.

It's one of the books that basically is like "I exist to give Cait joy." I'm 99% sure it was written for me. Just sayin'. You know why? HERE IS A LIST OF ALL THE THINGS I LOVE:
• Siblings working hard to save each other
• A girl who is wicked clever at fighting
• Curses and magic
• Retelling of Sleeping Beauty (more like a continuation of the story) AND of the Princes that turned to swans!! I've never read a retelling of that before! YAYY.
• So. much. food. Literally the sheer amount of food and LOVE for food just...it just makes me happy, okay?
• Endlessly sassy and witty banter. ENDLESSLY. I have no read dialogue this good in forever.
• Oh and the world building was perfect.
• I am in love.
• Hold me. I'm having 9 emotions.

So let's just talk about the characters for a second because THEY ARE MY FAVOURITE CREATURES OF EEEEEVER. It's dual narrated by Aurora and Niklass. They're actually SUPER similar in personality. So clash clash clash. The chemistry was amazing and I shipped them right from the beginning. Of course they're lying to each other and holding back SO MANY SECRETS and arghhhh, half the time you want to clash their heads together because they spend 90% of the time fighting. BUT ALSO. JUST KISS YOU FOOLS. I haven't shipped this hard since Disruption.

Aurora is on a quest to get an army to free her brother from the Evil Ogre Queen. And she and Niklass kind of get caught up doing the quest together, but he wants to MARRY Aurora to break his curse. Plot twist: Aurora is posing as her brother, Jor. SO YEAH. Niklass thinks she's a boy. But, seriously? They had so many "moments" I'm like 99% convinced Niklass is gay. Seriously now. There was a LOT of shoulder-squeezing and random touches for what was supposed to be two dudes. Ahem. And the fact that he didn't notice IS KINDA DUMB. But who even cares...because the banter was AMAZING.

Oh and let's pause a moment to weet for little baby prince Jor. He's like 14. BUT STILL. BABY. He was caught by the Ogre Queen (whose POV we got occasionally too, which I LOVED and was really important for the story) and absolutely tortured and ARGHHH IT WAS SO SAD. His torture chapters were the worst. And they weren't graphically described, but it was just...gah. You don't need to say much to paint a horifically blood-coated picture okay?!

Speaking of which, the book doesn't stray away from violence. AT ALL. Which I really like, because I think epic fantasies + violence = realistic. Although both Niklass and Aurora had a "thing" about "not killing". Which, was noble and all, but not strictly realistic. *ahem* But otherwise THERE WAS MURDER, TORTURE, BLEEDING AND DYING. HUZZAH.

And the world building. THE!! WORLD!! BUILDING!! It's definite proof that you can set up an entirely complex and well-rounded world in 400 pages. IT IS PROOF. I loved how I felt like I KNEW the whole world. And the details were incredible. There was culture and complexity and MAAAAGIC. And evil and faeries and curses/gifts from faeries. It is a retelling. But it totally stands on its own as well. If you'd cut out the "Sleeping Beauty" aspect then it could've been completely original!! Because it's like "Sleeping Beauty's daughter" anyway.

BUT I'M CRYING BECAUSE IT'S A STANDALONE.

I COULD READ 94820942809 BOOKS ABOUT THESE CHARACTERS.

DID I MENTION HOW MUCH I SHIP THE FREAKING SHIP!??!? *ships aggressively* Niklass and Aurora were SO messed up and complicated. But perfect for each other. Omg. OMggggggggg.

So basically, BASICALLY *hyperventilates* this is one of my new favourite fantasies of all time. (I vouch for the amazingness of the audiobook as well!! The narrator gave them faintly British/Irish accents which I loved.) I cannot get enough of these characters and this world and the amazingness of the writing. And gah! I was just so sucked into the story and IN LOVE WITH EVERY ASPECT. Siblings who love each other dearly are ALWYAS a win for me. Same with banter. SAME WITH FOOD. Do you know how much they ate? Niklass and Aurora had eating contests. What is not to love? I ask you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of Thorns.

May 14, 2014 – Shelved
May 14, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 7, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 28, 2015 – Started Reading
November 28, 2015 –
page 60
15.0% "OMG THIS IS SO GOOD!! I know I sound surprised but...I just didn't know what to expect, but I like. Magic, ninja fighting skills, sass, fairy tales and torture -- YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU."
November 28, 2015 –
page 150
37.5% "Wherein Niklass thinks that Aurora is a boy but they have SO MANY MOMENTS that I begin to suspect he is utterly gay."
page 200
50.0% "AW MY DARLING SHIP IS SINKING. HOW ADORABLE. I HURT. *eats crumpets of sadness and terror and continues shipping*\n (This. book. is. so. good.)"
page 220
55.0% "They toooorture the little 14yo baby prince SO BAD I AM CRYING. \n HE'S JUST A BABY.\n OMG.\n Excuse me, I'm losing my mind."
November 30, 2015 –
80.0% "Do you realise how much PIE is in this book!? So. much. PIIIIIIE."
December 2, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
December 2, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 5, 2015 – Shelved as: audio-books

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Now I really want to read this!! :D

C.G. Drews YOU SHOULD. OMG IT'S SO SO SOOOO GOOD.

message 3: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn Love the review. Really want to read this one now!

Holly eep I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVED THIS ONE! Stacey's fantasy books are my faaaave. also you should definitely, absolutely read Of Beast and Beauty ASAP. It's just as good (I even loved it more than this).

message 5: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Silva I've never heard of this, but now it's on my list. ^_^

C.G. Drews @Lauren: YAYYAYYYYY THAT IS EXCELLENT NEWS. Good life decision.

@Jenn: I hope you read it someday because AFDJKSALD ALL THE FEELS.

@Holly: I am dyyyying to find OBAB now. *squawks* I cannot believe how much I loved these characters. It's one of my favourites of the year. :')

@Brianna: YOU NEED IT IN YOUR LIFE I PROMISE.

Anissa (FairyLoot) So I just thought I could buy this, and was commenting about it, and how excited I was. Then I realised it's not out yet, and I'm in a sulk. I WANTS THE PRECIOUS x)

Anissa (FairyLoot) Just kidding, I'm delirious. It's out on hardback. MY DAY IS SAVED

C.G. Drews @Anissa: yES THE HARDBACK IS OUT AND IT CALLS TO YOU. Also the audio is afjdkslafd wonderful and perfect. :')

Monica (Tomes Project) Honestly, this review. I don't even know. I just know that I want it ASAP.

Vlora (Reviews and Cake) Wow haha I'm really gonna have to give this book a 2nd chance

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Monica: GOOD LIFE DECISION.

@Vlora: Omg you didn't like it?!?! VLORA. YOU'RE BREAKING MY HEART.

message 13: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Lauren Feel like I gotta read this now bc SLEEPING BEAUTY RE TELLING and your review ofc

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Jessica: YES READ IT. IT'S SO SO GOOD. XD

message 15: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally (The Scribbling Sprite) You just made me click 'want to read' like, 17,000 times. Counterproductive? Maybe. But this sounds amazing!!

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ally: AFDJASKLDF THANK YOU. XD And I promise this book is amazing. I just want to hug it.

message 17: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke N. Checking out from the library now. Do you know if the audiobook is good?

message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Brooke: I actually only listened to the audiobook! I can confirm that it is 100000% MARVELLOUSNESS.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie  Hanna Sounds incredible . . .

Jaimi Rachelle I need to read this ASAP!! Eating contests?! I'm sold.

Hannah This was one of my favorite books last year! So happy someone else enjoyed it!!!

message 22: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Hannah: YAYYYY. IT'S SO SO AMAZING, RIGHT?! One of the best retellings of all time imo. :D

Hailey Stalter You should read the Sevenwaters trilogy by Juliet Marillier if you like the story of the swan brothers! That's another excellent retelling.

message 24: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Hailey: Ooh, thanks for the rec!