Don's Reviews > Say You're One of Them

Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan

Mar 11, 2010

it was ok
Read from March 11 to 19, 2010

I may have entered into this with what I think of as The Kite Runner Syndrome. I've found that too much hype seems to just kill a book for me. This one wasn't as egregious as "Kite Runner" but it was definitely written to evoke profound sadness. OK. I knew what I was getting into with the stories, but the sometime indecipherable language (a mix of English, French and odd-syntax-something) of some of the stories made it downright impossible to get through them.

The shorter stories are definitely better than the longer ones. I might even go so far as to rate those at 3 to 4 stars on their own merit.

To each his or her own though. I realize I'm a minority opinion both here and with Kite Runner.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Say You're One of Them.

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Let me know what you think. This is on my to-read list.

message 2: by Don (new) - rated it 2 stars

Don Will do. I can recommend a couple of my favorite Africa-themed books: "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver and "Dark Star Safari" by Paul Theroux. Theroux is kind of a jerk, but his travels through Africa and his perspective are fascinating.