Ashley Steiner's Reviews > A Season of Change

A Season of Change by Lynette Sowell

it was ok

Knowing next to nothing about Amish and Mennonite culture myself, Lynette Sowell offers a unique glimpse into the day-to-day lives of various sects. What I appreciate about Sowell’s storytelling is she presents the religious dichotomies in a conversational and understandable manner, without sounding overly academic. I had no idea of the Pinecraft community’s existence, but thoroughly enjoyed learning about the Amish version of Las Vegas. I think A Season of Change will dispel certain stereotypes about Amish and Englisch cultures alike.

The idea was unique and piqued my interest (Amish man falling for a non-Amish woman); however, the overall execution fell short. I can understand why Jacob’s demeanor was sometimes cold and distant – it’s a product of his upbringing. However, at times, I felt like the dialogue was too stiff and not believable for Natalie, our young twenty-something heroine. Also, I was bothered by how much time was spent on Jacob’s grief over his late wife. Yes, we know he is still in mourning, but I felt like the first third of the book was an homage to his wife – which, as a reader, was a bit overwhelming.

All in all, if you’re looking for a fun, easy and quick read, I think you’ll enjoy A Season of Change. I wasn’t aware there was a genre for Amish fiction, and even though it’s not my cup of tea, it was refreshing to read something completely different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Season of Change.

May 13, 2014 – Started Reading