Rebecca's Reviews > The Rosie Effect

The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion

bookshelves: laugh-out-loud, read-via-edelweiss, autism

(3.5) I was wary after the Guardian review called this sequel “twice as long and only half as good” as The Rosie Project, but I actually enjoyed it just about as much as the original. In a new NYC setting, Rosie’s unplanned pregnancy has Don Tillman – and everyone else around him – assessing his suitability for fatherhood. He manages to supplement his textbook knowledge of obstetrics with some bizarre practical experience, such as assisting with a lesbian parenting study and having a hand in a (bovine) delivery. Expect much madcap hilarity.

“My innate logical skills were significantly greater than my interpersonal skills,” Don notes in typical deadpan style, but by helping friends old and new he has some success in developing empathy. Whether this is believable for a character with Asperger’s I couldn’t say with any authority, but it makes for an emotionally satisfying storyline.

My favorite lines: “A society of Rain Men would be dysfunctional. A society of Don Tillmans would be efficient, safe, and pleasant for all of us.” As a big fan of appropriate fetus names, I also appreciated Don and Rosie’s choice of “Bud” (= Baby Under Development, but also fits cleverly with ‘Rosie’ and indicates friendly informality).

Where could the series go next?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rosie Effect.

May 13, 2014 – Shelved
May 13, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 26, 2014 – Started Reading
October 29, 2014 – Shelved as: laugh-out-loud
October 29, 2014 – Shelved as: read-via-edelweiss
October 29, 2014 – Shelved as: autism
October 29, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue Oh good...4 stars.

Library_boyfriend I'm very excited to read this! I enjoyed the previous book.

Angela M Rebecca , I liked it as well . I've seen several mediocre reviews but I really love Don & Rosie .

message 4: by Nan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nan Williams Good review.

Rebecca Thank you, Nan!

message 6: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters Great news on this sequel!!! Thanks for your review

Suzanne Unfortunately he's not continuing the series, I met the author at the Sydney launch. Extremely nice guy!! Engaging, I could see where the quirkiness of the characters came from.

Rebecca Oh, that's a shame. So neat that you met him!