Diane S ☔'s Reviews > Us

Us by David Nicholls

liked it

3.5 Douglas, a bit of a nerd but so still in love with his wife, I immediately took to his character. Loved the dry wit in which this story is told and all the talk about art on their travels through Europe. But I had a big problem relating to the main premise of this novel. After being told his wife wants to leave him, she talks him into going on their planned trip with their son albie. I tried to picture myself or my husband going off on a major holiday after this type of discussion and just couldn't. We have been married many years, just as Douglas and Connie in the book, and both of us would be so devastated we probably would not be emotionally functional.

Yet, the story is an engaging one, well written for sure. Never took to the character of Connie, thought her selfish though she maintains she still loved Douglas. A good look though at a marriage where one spouse wants something different than the other. So a good read if one can suspend belief, or maybe their are marriages and people out there who can put side their thoughts and emotions to go through something lime this. Just know I couldn't but the writing and some of the insights made this very readable and I did want to see what happens at the end of their trip. Douglas just seems too good to be real.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Us.

May 12, 2014 – Shelved
page 75
November 12, 2014 –
page 150
November 14, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Angela M (new)

Angela M I wasn't crazy about One Day so I think I may skip this one . In reading the description , I thought the same as you that the premise seemed a bit unrealistic .

Diane S ☔ I found many of the situations to be unrealistic, so I agree with you.

message 3: by Dem (new)

Dem I haven't added this one as feel it won't suit me and your review has confirmed that. Thanks Diane.

Diane S ☔ You are very welcome Dem. Any time saver when there are so many books out there.

Camie Thanks for this review. I was starting to think I had read something totally different than everyone else. I have been married 32 years and have 4 grown children . This book was totally implausible to me !!