Julie Barrett's Reviews > The Jewel of Medina

The Jewel of Medina by Sherry Jones

did not like it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, finished-2014

Oh boy. Where to even begin. This novel was stunningly bad. Only my inability to stop reading a book once I start it caused me to finish it. I imagine most normal people don't finish this book. Everything was terrible - the plot, the character development, the dialog, the pacing - even the cover, as another reviewer pointed out, is wrong. The main character has red hair - something the author mentions dozens of times (her fiery red hair oooh la la).

I got this novel from the library hoping it would be similar to The Red Tent. Sadly, no. While I learned a lot about early Jewish culture and the history of the middle east from The Red Tent, I learned next to nothing about Islam. Seriously, five minutes of reading the Wikipedia entry on Muhammed taught me more than this whole stinking book did.

The dialog was breathtakingly hokey. It was like something out of a bad B movie. Or maybe a play that the characters in the movie Waiting For Guffman would put on. I actually imagined the dialog being spoken by a talentless actor in a regional theater production.

The cardboard characters! Aisha, the protagonist, was entirely without charm. And what a cliche of the tempestuous redhead. None of her motives were believable at all. AT ALL. As for Muhammed, I got no sense of why an entire religion would be founded upon his words and actions. He just seemed like a confused old man who liked having sex.

Run, run far away from this book. Unless you need an example for a writing class for what not to do in a book. Two thumbs down, waaaaaaay down.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel of Medina.

May 12, 2014 – Shelved