J. Bennett's Reviews > Beauty Is for Suckers

Beauty Is for Suckers by M.A. Carson

A fun and promising work from a talented new author. Iris Green is likable protagonist who is obsessed with banishing her plain looks and obtaining beauty even if she has to give up her life in the process. When Iris moves to Los Angeles and quickly achieves her dream of becoming a vampire, she learns that being undead isn't all it's cracked up to be. Her psychiatrist isn't much help, and her first real love interest happens to be brave, sensitive, nice...and an aspiring vampire hunter.

The first chapter of this book was rather slow -- it involved Iris basically explaining her whole back story to a terrified psychiatrist. Personally, I would have much preferred to watch these events take place, but the book quickly picks up speed as Iris seeks out the vampire who changed her. I found myself quickly "sucked" in (ouch). Author M.A. Carson does a great job of making Iris feel real and likable while also flawed. In her quest for external beauty she overlooks her own inner worth until she meets Nolan, aspiring vampire hunter reality star. I really enjoyed the dynamic between these two characters and how they each changed each other in profound ways.

Carson also did a brilliant job of building a world that looks like our own but isn't. He wove in details about the vampire reality shows that fill the airwaves and how the existence of vampires has basically impacted normal human society without it feeling heavy handed.

The last quarter of the book picked up some serious speed and a few big revelations piled up. Personally, I felt this part of the book was rushed, and I didn't like that Nolan (my fav character) faded into the background.

Despite these issues, I thoroughly enjoyed Beauty is for Suckers. The book was deftly woven with humor, strong plot points and a good pace. Iris Green proves that death can be the beginning of a meaningful life. M.A. Carson has all the makings of a solid author. I hope he'll continue to refine his craft as this series moves forward, and I can't wait to read the next book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Is for Suckers.

May 12, 2014 – Started Reading
May 12, 2014 – Shelved
May 12, 2014 –
0.0% "After a slow start, I'm really digging this funny story and its enjoyable protagonist, Iris."
May 20, 2014 – Finished Reading