Sarah Rosenberger's Reviews > Monsters of Men

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Mar 10, 2010

bookshelves: war, scifi, dnrip

Now THIS is how you end a trilogy!

I don't know how he managed it, but throughout this whole series, Ness never sacrificed depth for plot or vice versa. Like the first two books, this one was full of not only suspense, action, and characters worth caring about, but also ambiguity, allusion and brutal realism. Even the Dan Brown-ish cliffhanger chapter endings that usually make me want to throw a book across the room only bothered me a little.

It took me longer to read than most books because I had to keep stopping and thinking about it. While the second book was full of Holocaust references, this one moved onto Israel and Palestine. And for 600 pages, it never took the easy way out, instead constantly dragging the characters through murky situations with no obvious solutions, and forcing the reader to reevaluate their sympathies every few chapters.

It stuck to similar themes as the first two: the justification of terrorism and war (and whether or not the two are so different), the wrongs of colonialism, the responsibilities of the powerful, redemption and absolution, but it really got down & dirty and explored the nuances of them in a way I couldn't help contrasting with Mockingjay's simplistic message that "War is bad." I liked Mockingjay (for the most part) but in my opinion, Monsters of Men is infinitely more mature and deep. It's a shame it won't be eligible for the Printz, because I think it's really an example of how great teen literature can be.

Also, I love the last line of this book almost as much as I loved the first line of the first book. Awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters of Men.

March 10, 2010 – Shelved