Jennifer's Reviews > Final Target

Final Target by Steven Gore

Mar 10, 2010

bookshelves: suspense, thriller, mystery, fiction
Read from March 10 to 15, 2010

From my blog....[return]Not since my introduction to the works of Ian Fleming decades ago have I been so engrossed in an international fraud novel. Final Target by Steven Gore is his debut novel and what a debut it is, filled with double crosses, greed, corruption, international gangsters, and brilliantly written characters as well as a captivating storyline. The novel opens with what appears to be a drive-by shooting of James Burke, an International Attorney who remains in a coma and in critical condition. Graham Gage, Burke's longtime friend, ex-San Francisco Police Officer and current private investigator, becomes involved first in trying to find out who gunned down his long time friend. It is not long before he realizes Burke is a target and Gage becomes involved in trying to find out who tried to take out Burke and why. What first appeared to be a random shooting proves to be far more complicated when Gage discovers that the Assistant US District Attorney, Peterson, has made a deal with Stuart Matson, President of SatTek, which is under investigation for fraud, insider trading, selling weapons to the enemy, among other crimes. It rapidly becomes apparent that Matson is lying and setting up Burke to take the fall, but worse, DA Peterson is buying Matson's story, and he needs a conviction. Will Gage be able to prove his friend Burke is innocent or will Burke be tried before a grand jury when he regains consciousness? Gage travels all over the world, looking for answers, following leads and dead ends. Steven Gore's Final Target is expertly written, with descriptive narrative crystal clear details of London, Ukraine, and Russia down to the culture and cuisine. It is evident that either Gore himself has been to these places or he has done extensive research into the countries and the cultures. Final Target is a fast-paced thriller that will keep the reader up well into the night trying to figure out the many plot twists, turns, and ultimately, the truth. The novel is clean; there is no need, thankfully, for gratuitous sex scenes or excessively foul language. Without hesitation, I recommend this book to any and all suspense and mystery buffs. I am ecstatic to learn that Steven Gore will be publishing a second Graham Gage novel, due to be released in November; I plan to be one of the first in line for that novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Final Target.