Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit)'s Reviews > The Mark

The Mark by Jen Nadol

Mar 10, 2010

I became interested in this book at first solely because of the cover. I really love the purple tones! When I picked it up to start reading, I had no idea what the story was about, but was able to figure it out pretty quickly.

Cassie, our main character, has the ability to see a mark that tells her someone will be dying that day. It was an interesting journey hearing about how she came to the conclusion that that is what the mark means. After that, the book gets very philosophical.

Literally.

Cassie starts by taking a philosophy class (for fun and something to do that summer), which expands into many different philosophical questions, especially about her mark abilities and if she was meant to do something about it. While I enjoyed these arguments and figuring out what I believed myself, it caused the book to lack a little action or resolution.

The book was one that got me to think a lot. At the end I was left feeling slightly unsatisfied since the majority of our journey with Cassie was spent speculating and not doing, but I did feel that a sequel would be good, if one happens to be written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mark.

March 10, 2010 – Shelved