Seymour's Reviews > Descent of the Dove

Descent of the Dove by Charles  Williams

liked it

Charles Williams' take on Church History: I found it much harder to understand than his book "Witchcraft", which feels rather like a companion to this work. Nevertheless, I glimpsed much through the shifting clouds of his prose, and what I saw, I liked. Williams does this in his fiction as in his non-fiction: he sees the whole of reality in a different way and hardly bothers to spell it out for his readers. You sort of go along for the ride and the stuff he says about the passing vistas makes you see them as he does for a few breathless moments that seem to invoke a Jungian sense of 'oneness'.

On discovering huge gaps in my understanding of classical thought, literature and history, I have only been provoked to read more and explore further. Centrally, though, I'm broadly comforted by Williams' essential recasting of the bloody, shameful and dark moments in Christian history. His vision enables him to discern God at work in diverse and contradictory movements, frequently pitted against each other. Central to this is his unique theological formulation of 'co-inherence' - that process by which humankind incubates the Kingdom of God.

There is a lot of assumed knowledge he expects in his readers, which makes some parts of the text almost inaccessible to those outside the orbit of his intellect (including me). However, a bit of background in Williams' theology, namely the formulations of co-inherence and the 'Way of Affirmation' versus the 'Negative Way', will open up much of this to a new reader, as will a prior reading of Dante's 'The Divine Comedy'.

I will strive to be equal to a second reading of this book when I come to it, and in the meantime I have copied out a good few of Williams' perfectly turned phrases to chew on and extended my reading list for the coming year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Descent of the Dove.

May 11, 2014 – Started Reading