Michelle's Reviews > Plus One: Finding God on the Yoga Mat

Plus One by Cori Martinez

it was ok
bookshelves: yoga-memoir

I enjoy yoga - practicing it, reading about it, and reading about people's experience with it. I wanted to like this book, since it is supposedly a yoga memoir.

The biggest problem with this book is that it rambles. It's hazy. The author writes about experiences with this vague and hazy, "as I recall" attitude, as if she's telling you about her dreams - incidents and memories that dreamlike and gauzy. There's no energy in her writing. It's not gripping or engaging.

It's more like a book of essays, and it's definitely not as interesting as any of the other yoga memoirs I've read.

As one reviewer said elsewhere, the idea for the book is good, but the execution is lacking.

The author had some interesting things to share, but the vagueness weakened the writing. It's not engaging. It doesn't grip the reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plus One.

May 11, 2014 – Shelved
October 24, 2014 – Started Reading
October 26, 2014 –
37.0% "I enjoy yoga memoirs, but this is more like reading someone's attempts at writing a poetic journal. It's written in a hazy way, and I find it hard to connect with the author. I plan to finish it, but it's not as interesting or as well written as I'd hoped."
October 30, 2014 – Finished Reading