Marie Clarisse's Reviews > Kingdom of Heroes

Kingdom of Heroes by Jay  Phillips

I received a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Okay so, here it goes.

First of all, I'd have to say that there aren't a lot of novels out there with superheroes as their main premise. Personally, this is my first time reading a book (aside from D.C. comic books) with a plot that revolves entirely around actual superheroes: people with superhuman abilities who literally wear masks and costumes, save powerless citizens and battle with super villains. This, for me, is what sets this book aside from other adult novels. And what makes it even more interesting, is that it has a Utopian setting and involves a tyrant government led by the superheroes themselves.

What I loved even more about this book is its main character. Prisoner 616, or The Detective, as most people call him. He has such a witty, hilarious, and at the same time mysterious personality. I loved him from the very first chapter he was introduced and I also loved how his character developed as the story progressed. It's a shame though, that even til the very end, his real identity was never revealed.

(view spoiler)

Kingdom of Heroes is a really funny read with such a fast-paced plot and awesome characters. There's so much going on in this book that there's not a single dull moment. You could even see how heavily it has been based from the influence of actual marvel characters. What stopped me though, from giving it five stars was the fact that it wasn't edited thoroughly and there were a lot of typos and errors. Some things were pretty inconsistent too. Here's one example: If you could recall, Emily was first introduced as a pretty brunette in the first couple of chapters, right? But at some point of the story, Phillips suddenly described her hair to be raven black in color.

Overall, I'm giving this book four stars. And though I did not like the ending, I have to say that reading this gory book was a truly frightening yet enjoyable experience. The author of this book has a very wide imagination, and he's done a pretty good job.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kingdom of Heroes.

May 11, 2014 – Started Reading