Jonathan Terrington's Reviews > Slaves of Socorro

Slaves of Socorro by John Flanagan

John Flanagan is one of my favourite children's fiction authors. It helps that he's an Aussie and writes with the humour and down-to-earth style of an Aussie of course. However, I like him even beyond these elements. I like that he is one of those authors who recognises that, though they are writing for children, their stories should not be 'dumbed down' for children. I also appreciate that he writes and creates characters who are organic.

In the past week I taught a group of students about the importance of style when it links into writing. Flanagan has a style that works for him in order to create likeable, honest characters. His heroes are just heroic enough, and his villains are just villainous enough, with plenty of morals and historical information to be gleaned in between. They are stories by a storyteller who has polished his work to the point where it is solid and clean. That's not to say that it is complex to the level of greater writers, but Flanagan accepts his own particular limitations and does not aim to mess everything up in sheer exuberance.

In terms of the story here? There is a story about the Brotherband working with strange and unfamiliar faces to defeat slavers and old enemies. The story itself has less depth than Ranger's Apprentice books have had before, I will admit, but there is enough in everything working together for the story to play out nicely. And for anyone else who is a fan of Flanagan, I definitely recommend reading this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaves of Socorro.

May 11, 2014 – Shelved