Sara's Reviews > The Body Finder

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Mar 09, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, young-adult

Violet has the creepy ability to "sense" bodies that have been killed; a unique imprint is left on both the body and the killer. When a serial killer starts terrorizing the area where she lives, Violet realizes that her ability might mean that she's the only one who can find the killer's identity before he strikes again.

This book started off a bit slow but quickly picked up and held my interest. The main characters were very likable, although some of the peripheral ones felt one-dimensional, and Violet's ability was well-depicted. I really sympathized with Violet, since she had such a gift that could be a blessing when trying to find a killer but was also a curse. There was a lot of excitement throughout the book, and it kept me enthralled, as I tried to figure out along with Violet where the killer was and how she could stop him.

I also liked the side plot about Violet realizing that she's falling in love with her best friend, Jay, who knows about her ability and wants to help protect her, from both the killer and from herself. Although this plot seemed to overtake the mystery aspect of the book at times, especially near the beginning, it complemented the mystery well and helped enhance it.

The author did a good job of describing events without being gruesome, which was nice, and the narration switched between Violet's point of view to the killer's viewpoint, helping give the plot some depth. Although some parts felt a bit rough around the edges, the book was quite entertaining overall. Apparently there's supposed to be a sequel released next year, which is odd, since the plot seemed quite contained in this book, with nothing more needing to be said. But since I enjoyed this book, I'll probably pick the next one up when it's released and see how it goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body Finder.