Christina's Reviews > Love Stories in This Town

Love Stories in This Town by Amanda Eyre Ward

Mar 09, 2010

I really enjoyed Love Stories in This Town . Amanda Eyre Ward populates her stories with realistic and engaging characters. I like the way Ward ties the title of each story into a piece of dialog from that story. It ties title and story together nicely, and also imparts meaning to the titles. (Some other stories I have read seem to be named rather arbitrarily; I'm not fond of that).

My favorite character is Lola, around whom the last six stories in the book are centered. Something about the Lola stories in particular made me want to go to Austin, TX to see if I could find her there.

The edition I read has a nice little interview with the author, in which she confides that she probably will revisit Lola in future stories. I look forward to that.

I only have one tiny complaint about this book, and it isn't really the author's fault. It's editing, or what I consider to be poor editing. At the end of the story Butte as in Beautiful (no, I won't spoil the story!) there is a name that appears as "Neil Davidson" in the second paragraph, but inexplicably changes to "Joseph Davidson" three paragraphs later. Why? Wasn't anyone doing a final proofread of this book? It drives me nuts, because I think Ballantine Books did Amanda Eyre Ward a real disservice here. I found myself watching for other such slip-ups (thankfully, I found none) in an otherwise thoroughly enjoyable book. I think I will have to write to the publisher about this.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Stories in This Town.

March 9, 2010 – Started Reading