Brittney's Reviews > No Time for Goodbye

No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

F 50x66
Mar 09, 2010

Read in February, 2010

Murder mysteries and thrillers are often the only types of novels I read. I have come across many, both weak and strong and even corny, but this is most definitely my favourite yet. For those of you who enjoy a strong story that can turn around in an instant or one with curious and appealing characters, I think you will agree.
And somehow Barclay does just that, distributes to you both. He mixes an assortment of writing styles and focuses deeply on many key ideas leading to capture a wide variety of audiences. You are able to engage with the characters and feel for yourself their emotions. I, for one, felt a very strong connection to Cynthia. I understood her emotions through out the novel and realized why she chose the choices she made. Losing a family member, or many in her case, is difficult and you will do anything to believe you can bring them back. I feel there is a way for everyone to connect with a character in this book, whether it is through guilt, sympathy, relationships, or experience.
I think what kept me hooked was the suspense and a little trick he plays that I can’t quite figure out. Mostly towards the first quarter or so, after the introduction to Cynthia’s family vanishing without a trace, I felt there was nothing, no spark in the story, but I kept on needing to read because it felt as though there was something, something big that was going to happen. There was, too many chapters later, but still everything in between was interesting and eventually helpful, which I congratulate as great writing on Barclay’s part. I enjoy the way he moved the book from a slow yet intriguing mystery to a fast paced, edge of your seat thriller.
I finalize to give this book 4 stars because there were unusual moments, on the writing part, that came off a bit bizarre, but an excellent read overall I would recommend to any mystery thriller loving readers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Time for Goodbye.