Brian's Reviews > The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz

Mar 09, 2010

liked it
Read on March 09, 2010

I came upon this book after reading an article in the Rolling Stone about Jeff Bridges. I liked the way he referenced it in relation to his life. I'm normally not one who can stomach much of things that are categorized under New Age (violation of Agreement #3: Don't make assumptions), but I found a few things here that were very helpful in thinking about problems my 23 year old son is facing and problems that I am facing in my own life. The crux of this book are the four "agreements" that you make with yourself: Be impeccable with your word; don't take anything personally; don't make assumptions; always do your best. Simple, but powerful if you take the time to follow Ruiz's explanation of each. I'm not one who feels the need to believe in God, but it is easy enough to get beyond Ruiz's appeals to a deity (a very diffuse sense, ultimately having more to do with a Buddhist sense of love than the grand bearded father), and find a spiritual sense that celebrates a freely lived life in the acceptance of death's inevitability (cf. George Harrison's "the art of dying"). My only complaint is the essentially individualist nature of this "path", and the difficulty of linking it to a sense of social and political action, but then Ruiz would say that is my dream and no one should take it personally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Agreements.

08/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Lara (new) - added it

Lara Messersmith-Glavin This sounds very compelling - can't wait to track it down.

Brian My goal with this is to figure out how to keep the helpful bits from engendering isolation (Fool on the hill syndrome)...

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa mm...interesting review. Do you think these ways to look at life are suitable for modern generation?

Brian You definitely have to do some temporal translation, and it may or may not be for everyone. I wouldn't take these ways of looking at life as the only perspective to take, just something to consider once and awhile.

Sarahisagenius Your review was the best I have read yet. I too do not completely agree with this book but I do not feel the need to destroy this book in a review. It has it's enlightening qualities and is short. It was just enough to see Ruiz's perspective and appreciate it.

Melody Crockett Anger managers