Chelsea (Starbucks & Books Obsession)'s Reviews > All Lined Up

All Lined Up by Cora Carmack

bookshelves: arc, blog-tour

I have loved every Cora Carmack book I have read and All Lined Up was no exception. She has an incredible writing style that draws me in and keeps me hooked to the entire time. I love that she creates incredibly strong yet vulnerable female characters and a perfect male counterpart to go along with them. While there's a plot behind every book, what really grabs a hold of me is the relationship she builds between the characters. It is so strong and I am always left wishing I could find something like that in real life.

I absolutely loved Dallas and she is one of the most well rounded characters I have encountered in a while. She is strong, beautiful, outspoken and smart but she is also closed off and feels a bit broken. She has a very strained relationship with her father and it has left her with a lot of bitterness and resentment that she carries around with her. This makes a lot of sense since she grew up without a mother and her father has always been all about football, making her feel second best to him. Despite being a little sheltered by her dad, I loved that she could really hold her own. She isn't afraid to speak her mind and be honest. I think she is so good at doing this with others because she can't really do it with her father. This definitely catches Carter's attention and draws him to her immediately.

I like Carter, a lot. He is such a great character and really the perfect guy that we all strive to find but know doesn't really exist. He is ambitious, hard working, strong and sweet. The way he respects and cherishes Dallas is definitely swoon worthy. I really liked that he wasn't the type of guy to just try and score, that he wanted everything from Dallas, even just friendship if that was all it could be. I also really liked his determination on the field too. He knew what he wanted and he went after it. He worked harder than anyone else, even knowing that his efforts may not even be recognized. He deserved to have a spot on that team and even more, he deserved to have the starting spot and a scholarship. He knew that he needed to focus on football and he knew the possible consequences of dating the coaches daughter but I loved that he risked it all to be with Dallas. he put her ahead of everything else and that is huge for her, especially with the way football has always ruled her life in the past. She never asked him to do it but the fact that he did anyways was incredible.

The way Cora built up their relationship was magnificent. I loved watching Dallas and Carter fall in love and navigate the secret relationship they built. Sometimes you can't really get to know someone when the relationship is built on secrets but they were able to do it because they still let each other in completely. They just couldn't let the rest of the world know. While their "friend" status may not have lasted long, the rules they established for that friendship carried over into their romantic relationship and I think they really made it easy to fall for each other. They were always honest and respectful of each other. Dallas respected Carter's need to train and gain a starting position on the team and he respected her need to take the physical part of their relationship slowly. He never once pressured her and proved to her that his feelings were real. Carter helped open Dallas up bring her out of her bitter shell. He made her a better woman and she made him a better man.

I loved Stella, Dallas' best friend, and I felt she really complimented Dallas. She is her exact opposite but Dallas needed her to help her break her shell a bit and she needed Dallas to calm her crazy. I also liked Ryan, Carter's friend. He pushes him and helps him train and I liked that Carter had that support. I think he and Stella are a book in the making too. While Silas is kind of a dick, I liked the way he stepped up to support Carter and there is definitely hope for him yet. Lastly, I loved the development of the relationship between Dallas and her dad too. They come a long way and in the end and I loved that father/daughter dynamic. I am a daddy's girl myself so seeing her start to build a stronger relationship with her dad was really beautiful.

Overall, I adored this book. I honestly couldn't put it down and I was a little sad when it was over. I loved the pacing and felt like it flowed really well. The characters were well developed and the plot was interesting and captivating. There's something really exciting about forbidden love and Cora really made that shine in All Lined Up. I can't wait for the next book in the Rusk University series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Lined Up.

May 9, 2014 – Started Reading