Catherine's Reviews > My Lord and Spymaster

My Lord and Spymaster by Joanna Bourne

Mar 09, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: england, historical, romance, series, spy
I own a copy

I read the first book of this series, The Spymaster's Lady, and really enjoyed it. I don't know why I never bothered to pick up the next book in the series when it came out. I finally decided to get it off my wish list and order it. I really wish I hadn't. Everything that I loved about the author's style in the last book was repeated here, but it really didn't work for me.

What I really liked about the last book was the flow of the language. The heroine was French and her thoughts and dialogue really felt authentic to me. The wordiness didn't bother me because it was all part of the experience of Annique (most of the book was from her pov). That same style was duplicated in this book. What was wonderful and had a great feel for Annique was horribly tedious for Jess.

I thought Jess was going to be really interesting. I mean, with her past she had to have some interesting character motivations. Unfortunately she wasn't anything special. Her actions made no sense to me and even though she was supposed to be some genius mind I honestly couldn't see it. She was a very weak character (even though we're told again and again that she's strong) and caved to whatever pressure was placed on her. It was irritating to read about.

I really didn't like Sebastian's character. He was basically a carbon copy of Grey from The Spymaster's Lady. Grey too was overwhelmingly dominant. He was very much so an "I know best" kind of guy. It worked for him because of his position as spymaster. I didn't mind him overwhelming Annique and controlling her actions because she was the enemy and to act otherwise would be stupid. That does not mean it was ok for Sebastian though. Why exactly is he acting that way? His controlling, egotistical behavior was so irritating.

Now, why exactly did these people fall in love? I really have no idea. One moment they're lusting and hating each other and then the author tells us they're in love. I just disliked the characters and couldn't get into the book.

One thing I do have to admit though... I really want to read Adrian's book. I liked him in the last book and I liked him in this one. I truly hope that he won't be a carbon copy of the other two male leads though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lord and Spymaster.

12/10/2016 marked as: read

MashJ I enjoyed it- but I do agree that the characters seemed very similar to the previous one and I'm not a big fan of authors who can only write one character type.

Catherine Me too. I hope she changes it up a tad in the third book.

MashJ Well- I admit that I'm puzzled. Presumably the Black Hawk is supposed to be Adrain's book but a Joanna Bourne has already written about Adrian Hawkhurst in a book supposedly published in 1983? I see that The Forbidden Rose is actually a step backwards to give Doyle's story. Just checked her website- the Black Hawk is Adrian's book, out this year- I suspect she may have recycled his name from a previous book as the heroines have different names.

Catherine How confusing. Is it a new and improved remake?

Janice I agree with you 100%