Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies's Reviews > The Wrath and the Dawn

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

it was ok

She wanted to kiss him.

It was one thing to return his kiss; she’d been prepared for that. But it was another thing entirely to want his kiss . . . another thing entirely to desire his affections. To melt into the arms of Shiva’s killer at the first sign of adversity.

Weak.

Retellings should light my imagination on fire. They should take the original story, add a twist to it, make it so that we don't feel like we're reading the same old, same old. The only twist, the only imaginative reimagining to this book is the addition of a fucking love triangle and the rewriting of the should-have-been mysterious, brilliant, Scheherazade into an astoundingly stupid chick.

The Scheherazade of the original 1001 Nights is a woman to be admired. Brave, smart, fearless. She used her intelligence to survive when countless others have died, enchanting the king by weaving tales so mesmerizing that the king could not bear to kill her. This book's main character Shahrzad doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Seriously, there was no point to this book. I could have read the original and been satisfied, because there was very little variation. We have a king who marries a woman and kills her after their wedding night. We have a main character who tells stories. She really does tell stories. I swear it felt like 1/4 of the book was devoted to the story she tells.

It was astoundingly dull. I didn't read a retelling to read yet another freaking rendition of Aladdin, among other tales. Spare me, please. I don't need to summarize what happens because everyone knows what the premise is. Insane motherfucker gets wronged in some way. Decides to marry a girl and kill her the next morning for some weird reason because COMMON SENSE Y'ALL. Girl decides to sacrifice herself like a sheep to the slaughter by marrying the dude herself, and secretly plots to stave off the executioner's axe by telling him a story and leave it on a cliffhanger every night. And the truth? I don't know why she's not dead. I don't know why he lets her live. Her charms are entirely hidden to me. I cannot comprehend the attraction she holds. Her stories bore me to tears.

I digress, but isn't that so intensely annoying? As book lovers, don't we hate cliffhangers? If I were the king, I would have just strangled her myself instead of waiting the next night to hear how the story ends. IMAGINE 1001 NIGHTS OF CLIFFHANGERS. DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE BITCH.

D:

The main character is stupid. So dumb. She talks big, fo' sho. She's all like I WILL KILL THE KING!!!!! I WILL AVENGE MY FRIEND'S DEATH AT THE HANDS OF THE MURDEROUS MONSTER.
“Wife.” He nodded.
“My king.”
I will live to see tomorrow’s sunset. Make no mistake. I swear I will live to see as many sunsets as it takes.
And I will kill you.
With my own hands.
And then like literally 2 days later she feels a pull on her heartstrings when he glances at her.
I despise him.
She tried to ignore the flutter of uncertainty in her stomach.

She is so dumb. Like she has ZE GRAND PLAN TO KILL THE KING (as previously stated). Only it fails pretty miserably. You see, in order to form a competent plot, you can't fucking reveal your hand . WHICH SHE DOES. Like showing that she's a highly accomplished archer...because surely knowing she can kill will make the Caliph feel so safe with her. Fucking idiot.
She exhaled slowly.
As soon as she opened her eyes, she loosed the arrow. It flew toward the target in a perfect spiral.
And struck exactly where she intended.
“Amazing. Despite never taking care to aim, you actually hit the target that time,” Jalal intoned drily. “In a fashion.”
She's defiant. She takes unnecessary risks, given her plot. I can't headdesk hard enough.

The love story is absolutely atrocious and unbelievable. There's not only ZE GRAND LOVE TRIANGLE between her childhood friend...
Tariq continued, the silver in his eyes flashing. “But understand this: no matter how many perfect young women you put in my path, there is only one Shahrzad.
But there's also zero chemistry between the main character and the murderer love interest. A love interest who is pretty fucking smart and vigilant.
His eyes, which were usually vigilant, appeared even more watchful than before.
She sighed to herself.
He notices everything. This will be even more difficult than I thought.
Which begs the question... why her? Why this stupid, incompetent, bumbling fool of a revenge-seeker?

So, my dear friends, don't hop a carpet and fly to this Arabian night. Because this book's main character is more of...
A fool off his guard
Could fall and fall hard
Out there on the dunes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wrath and the Dawn.

May 9, 2014 – Shelved
May 9, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
May 12, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine NOOOOOO. WWHYYYYYYYY?

message 2: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara Oh NOOOO. Damn it. I was excited for this. I love 1001 Nights. Why the hell the author put a love triangle to the story and ruined the main character?

This could have been a great story/re-telling. I should have known better. Ugh, lowering my expectations.

message 3: by Jana (new)

Jana I was on the fence when I heard it was a re-telling of 1001 Arabian Nights...and now I'm just going to re-read that. Seems like it'll be more fun. Thanks for the warning!

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies The love triangle wasn't that bad, mainly because the romance was pretty much one-sided (and the guy isn't even there most of the time), but still, why, dude?

message 5: by Ginger (new)

Ginger IMAGINE 1001 NIGHTS OF CLIFFHANGERS. DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE BITCH.

EEEEEviiiillll

message 6: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara Where did the good old stand-alones go? *sigh*

message 7: by Rebecka2 (new)

Rebecka2 Ah, shit. A stupid heroine, boredom and a love-triangle? *backs away slowly*
Thanks for the warning, Khanh!

Nasty Lady MJ Well done as always. I have so many positive reviews on this one I was hoping for more than what you wrote about....bummer.

message 9: by ♛Tash (new) - added it

♛Tash Oh noooo... I was looking forward to reading this.

message 10: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Great Aladdin quote at the end. :)

Joann H (Sshh!!! I'm reading) omg I have this book right now. Its next on my to read list.

Wendy Darling Why her?

Good question. I'm still wondering. :/

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Damn, the other retelling doesn't seem to be getting good reviews either :/

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela FINALLY someone else who disliked it! I stopped after like five chapters because UGH. Also, this book seems to have a vendetta against compound sentences, because it's all "Yes, my lord." "Her eyes entranced me." "I will find you."

message 15: by Ken (new)

Ken Mandap *cringe at the corner* why the love triangle? why she's falling in love to her best friend's killer? why she's dumb? no, the question is: why is she the protagonist if she's weak and talks a lot more than act for her vengeance? thanks for the review Khanh

Evelyn (devours and digests words) Ahhh dang it. Was looking forward to this one :/

message 17: by Diamond (new) - added it

Diamond Taking this off my Maybe list. THANK YOU, KHAN. another one bites the dust! I'm side eyeing all these Arabian Nights / Genie / Djinn / retellings. You know I am seriously scared of being optimistic but I just can't help but want them to be great. Did you hear about the Aladdin retelling, A Whole New World? I just got the approval from the publisher.

message 18: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex Morrison Fuuuuuuu.... blast! Ah, well.

message 19: by Beatrice (new) - added it

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Awesome review! :D <3

Neil (or bleed) Kinda skeptical about this book now. Excellent review as always. Thanks Khanh. :)

message 21: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby man! I was excited to read this.

Marla Mei I'm actually glad you didn't like this. Bwahahaha. You're one of my trusted reviewers and I always look forward for your reviews especially on very much hyped books. Makes me less scared to read them because then I wouldn't expect much anymore.

message 23: by Stephanie Tibbs (new)

Stephanie Tibbs Dang, I was looking forward to reading this. There are some reviewers where I take their ratings and reviews with a grain of salt but 98% I agree with everything you say.... wahhhhhhh.

message 24: by Miriam (last edited May 13, 2015 09:17AM) (new)

Miriam I think the only version I've read that successfully made all the characters sympathetic was a short story in which it turned out the king was only pretending to kill women while secretly sending them abroad to universities so they could return and modernize his country.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Miriam wrote: "I think the only version I've read that successfully made all the characters sympathetic was a short story in which it turned out the king was only pretending to kill women while secretly sending t..."

Oh wow!

message 26: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Yeah, unfortunately the story itself was nothing special. It was just "hey, lookit this twist!" and then ended. I'd love for someone to write that novel.

message 27: by Jilly (new)

Jilly Hilarious and wonderful review, Khanh. I love cliffhangers, personally, because they

message 28: by Gabi (new)

Gabi Hahaha, Jilly. Nice one.

Layla Yeah, I was not able to get on-board Team Serial Murderer.

message 31: by Ain (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ain Urgh too bad that the main characters suck! I mean, with this background, I wish the story could've been fucking amazing, but it fell flat.

message 32: by Ain (new) - rated it 2 stars

message 33: by Lais (new)

Lais not a fan of teen sex in books even if its a retelling and the way it was written was like yeah it happened lets move on... anyway i read like 20 pages?

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies It was the most boring, cold sex I've ever read.

message 35: by Lais (new)

Lais she is 16 man,I know it's normal and a retelling but waaay too unnecessary for me!

message 36: by Pamela (new)

Pamela LOL @ "boring, cold sex." Yeesh. Kiss of death for a book that's supposed to be romantic as all get out and people are all swoony over on social media.

☁Ginjer the ninja☁ love that second gif! xD

message 38: by Tucks (new) - rated it 1 star

Tucks Ha, I was so excited for this book. And after I read your review it grounded me a little.

And then I read the book. I completely agree with everything you said, it was a fucking mess.

message 40: by Marija (new)

Marija "Retellings should light my imagination on fire. They should take the original story, add a twist to it, make it so that we don't feel like we're reading the same old, same old."

Can we get this gilded in gold please?

message 41: by Highwind (new) - added it

Highwind Thank you! Everyone seems to love this book. But not only the core plot seems to be rendered in a manner that reminded me of bodice rippers, I also don't get how Shahrzad is supposed to be awesome when she doesn't even really have a plan.

message 42: by KP (new) - rated it 4 stars

KP Awesome review!! :D :D I wish I could have given my English teacher reviews like these, lol.

Stephanie My god.I can't believe I didn't see your review before I started this book. My brain head turned to mush after finishing it

Stephanie My brain hurts * sorry did the misspelling I'm using auto fill on the phone

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Looking forward to your thoughts :)

Stephanie I should have just listened to you and avoided this book, but I loved 1001 Nights so much I couldn't resist. You were 1001% right, and I just wrote a fucking novel of a review explaining why this book is a goddamn mess.

Faye, la Patata I didn't love this book, either. It lacked the emotions, was too telling than showing, and yes, she talked way more than acted. The "feelings for him" she were getting were way too "in-your-face" than I would have liked.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Yep. Too lovey dovey too soon.

Jessie Thank you! Now I see why I didn't like this book as everyone seems to be raving about it.

message 50: by Nenia (new)

Nenia Campbell Okay, now that I've read this book, I can see where you're coming from all right. What a disappointment this was. :(

« previous 1 3