Aditi's Reviews > A Father's Son

A Father's Son by Richard     Harris

bookshelves: my-reviews

As said by the author, Umberto Eco, “I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren't trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.” , in the same way, a very talented author of this generation, Richard Harris, has tried to portray those true words of Umberto Eco in his book, A Father's Son through his exquisite words. A Father's Son is a tale of a son and his estranged father, and how they hold onto each other in the very difficult times of their lives.

A zillion times thanks to the author, Richard Harris, for giving me the opportunity to read and review his book, in return for an honest and unbiased review.

This is about a normal 14-year old teenage boy, Justin, a very talented ice-hockey player, whose mother got recently arrested. He moves back in with his estranged dad, who is suffering from alcoholism, and with no means of income. The only common bond they share is Justin's passion for playing ice-hockey. His father tries hard to stand up to his son in every possible way; he even warms up to Justin's girlfriend, almost immediately. When Justin had a hard time in his home, with his dad, he used to crash over his friend's house, who's mom is like his very own mom and always used to praise him and took care of him. We see Justin's bravest side, when his father suffers from very terrible situations and how Justin stands up in those situations.

Indeed a very heart-touching story that will grasp you from the very beginning of the son's painful journey.

The author has spun the story so marvelously and intelligently. This book is set in the 80s in Toronto, Canada and the author has vividly made that time alive in front of our eyes. The book has got every element of history, the then culture of Canada and also a bit of romance, which makes the book a perfect read on the Father's Day. Also this book deals with the teenage issues and those hard times and complications between a teenager and his father. The characters are very appealing and are quite strong enough to make an impact on our minds, especially, the character of Justin, who is brave, and in a way, insecure and has also got some raw talent. His relationship with his father is what makes this book more interesting as well as compelling.

In a nutshell, a perfect Father's Day gift and of course a must read, in the honor of the fathers all over the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Father's Son.

Quotes Aditi Liked

Richard     Harris
“[A]s you will come to see, everything in life comes at a price. Nothing is free, not a single thing, tangible or intangible. There is an equilibrium at play all the time. For every gain, there is a loss of equal value. For every heart that is broken, one is sutured. It’s called balance, and it’s the only reason the universe doesn’t collapse onto itself at any given moment.”
Richard Harris, A Father's Son

Richard     Harris
“She’s an angel, Justin. Someone fashioned in the heavens. Women will continue to enter your life for as long as you live, but few will turn heads like Ali does. Fewer still will have her spiritus. Take it from someone who has been down this path many times, seen a great deal, and failed more often than not. Hold on to what is precious in your life with the strength needed to resist a gale-force wind. And never, ever let go.”
Richard Harris, A Father's Son

May 8, 2014 – Shelved
May 8, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
June 15, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 16, 2014 – Shelved as: my-reviews

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Nikita (new) - added it

Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff) Nice review Aditi and thanks for recommending the book to me..:)

Aditi Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff) wrote: Nice review Aditi and thanks for recommending the book to me..:)

Thank you Nikita!

message 3: by Sumit (new) - added it

Sumit Ojha thnkx for recom. Aditi!

Aditi Sumit Ojha wrote: thnkx for recom. Aditi!

Your welcome, it's a very good book and quite emotional too.