Dianna's Reviews > Dear Genius: The Letters of Ursula Nordstrom

Dear Genius by Ursula Nordstrom

Mar 08, 2010

How I enjoyed this book! All it is is letters written by one of the most notable children's book editors ever, Ursula Nordstrom, who worked for Harper. The letters go from 1937 until 1982. This really was a golden age for children's literature, and it was so fun to see letters and production details about some of my favorite books. Laura Ingalls Wilder, E B White, Maurice Sendak, Meindert DeJong, Margaret Wise Brown, Ruth Krauss, Garth Williams, and many others are all there.

I loved reading acceptance letters and production details for favorite books such as Harold and the Purple Crayon, Where the Wild Things Are, Charlotte's Web, and The First Four Years. It was also interesting to see letters surrounding books such as In the Night Kitchen that UN knew very well would be scandalous. She seemed to love breaking new ground.

Reading this book has caused me to add many children's books to my reading list (who could resist Little Fur Family that was originally bound in fur?). It has also made me more aware of different children's authors, how they worked, and why they wrote.

I will admit that I skipped and skimmed a bit, especially toward the end, but I still loved the book and highly recommend it to anyone interested in children's literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Genius.

March 8, 2010 – Shelved