Jen Ryland's Reviews > Just Like the Movies

Just Like the Movies by Kelly Fiore Stultz

bookshelves: june-2014

Overall, I enjoyed Just Like the Movies, a book that gently pokes fun at the way girls and women have unrealistic romantic expectations from watching rom coms (and reading romantic books?)

The story is told from two POV's. Marijke Morris is a track star with an adorable musician boyfriend. But she's not happy -- she's insecure in her relationship and, as a result, hasn't made some important life decisions, like where she's going to college. Lily doesn't want to be anything like her mom, a single mother who's still looking for Mr. Right, and bringing home a lot of Mr. Wrongs in the process. Lily worships a guy at school from afar, but isn't able to muster up the courage to talk to him.

When the two girls -- who move in different social circles -- meet at a movie theater, they decide to join forces and use rom com techniques to fix their love lives. This scheme isn't a huge part of the book, but I did think that the story did a good job of examining something that's a rom com staple: the Big Romantic Gesture. The BRG, exemplified by things like Lloyd Dobler and his boom box, is something that's dreamed about by girls and disparaged by guys. The book cleverly weaves the BRG into the story by way of a sub-category of BRGs, the OTTPI (Over the Top Prom Invitation.) At my high school, way back in time, the OTTPI was a Thing and I guess they are still a Thing at some high schools - who knew? But in any case, I thought the book did a great job of looking at the way that women and men often expect different types of romantic gestures in a relationship, and the conflict that can ensue.

As for Marijke and Tommy's relationship, I had serious doubts about it and kept flip-flopping back and forth about whether I thought he should ditch her or vice versa. I think it was a realistic relationship, but one that got on my nerves at times. I loved Lily's character the most, but also had a few doubts about her studious girl/hot guy relationship. I mean, do those ever really exist in real life? But in the end, I enjoyed the dual POV, enjoyed the friendship they developed, and found Just Like the Movies to be an entertaining summer read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Like the Movies.

May 8, 2014 – Shelved