Tatiana's Reviews > Spell Bound

Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, 2011

Just finished this very early ARC of Spell Bound and I truly hope it will be worked on some more. For now my thoughts are: this installment is rather messy and anticlimactic.

The novel starts with Savannah and Adam investigating the loss of Savannah's spell-casting powers and learning more about witch-hunters introduced in Waking The Witch. Eventually however all the trails lead to something huge, something that puts the whole supernatural community in danger.

The thing is, we never actually find out what exactly this danger is. We get to know some villains (there is plenty of them), but we never learn what specifically they are after and how they are planning to achieve this thing they are after. I guess we'll find out in the next book?

What Spell Bound is about is quite a bit of sleuthing performed by Adam and Savannah when they follow numerous leads with the help of their numerous friends in numerous places. Spell Bound is one of those Women of the Otherworld books that take a hectic family reunion route. Meaning almost every character from previous books makes a cameo - Clay, Elena, Paige, Lucas, Hope, Karl, Jaime, Jeremy, Cassandra, etc. - they all show up regardless if they are actually needed or not. I normally like such cameos, but here it felt excessive and often unnecessary.

If you are invested in Adam/Savannah relationship as much as I am, don't hold your breath. The development is minimal, unfortunately. The couple's interactions are hardly swoon-worthy or even realistic, I would go as far as to call them contrived, especially when it comes to fighting about IDK what or making up.

After finishing this 12th book in the series I feel a tad disappointed. There is a lot of running around and gathering of information, but most of the questions remain unanswered, story threads unresolved. Basically, the novel has no solid plot, it is very fragmented and has no real climax.

This series has been a favorite of mine for awhile, but it is gradually becoming something like Sookie Stackhouse series. I still enjoy reading the books, they are still entertaining, but they don't truly excite me any more. I particularly miss the hot romances...

P.S. I recently found out that the 13th book will be the last in the series. More info here: http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/forum/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spell Bound.

March 8, 2010 – Shelved
March 7, 2011 –
page 256
March 7, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
March 7, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Alyssa Can I steal this from you?!

Tatiana Try Net Galley:)

message 3: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Why can't I find this on there?

Tatiana They must have taken it down. I got it a few days ago.

message 5: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Oh boo =( I still need to catch up on the series but having this would have given me motivation lol.

Hope it is good =)

message 6: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny Do you have to be a professional reviewer to get books from Netgalley? Just curious. Thanks.

Plus, really jealous that you got this book. I want this book, if only to figure out if I liked the last book. (I still haven't rated book 11).

message 7: by Misty (new)

Misty You don't have to be a pro, but you do have to put info about yourself and where the reviews will be posted, and then be approved when you request things.

Tatiana Yeah, what Misty said. I am certainly not a professional reviewer.

message 9: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy Penny, I get Galleys from from NetGalley too. I'm certainly *cough* not professional!

I'm kind of glad I never got into this series, Tatiana. Other than reading the couple of books you told me to, I can't honestly bring myself to find any interest in the other characters.

Sookie Stackhouse needs to come to an end (a very Eric-based end) and maybe this series does too?

message 10: by Tatiana (last edited Mar 08, 2011 04:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tatiana Yeah, Kat, I believe no series can sustain itself for so long.

You should still read Frostbitten though.

message 11: by AH (new) - added it

AH That's disappointing. I wish she would hurry up and write more Elena and Clay. Those were her best books.

Tatiana Me too. More Clay!

Too many Savannah books in a row and not very satisfying books at that.

message 13: by AH (new) - added it

AH The Savannah books reminded me of her YA series. A lot of running around, and not much happening.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) I enjoyed Waking The Witch! I love Savannah, but I'm hoping the Adam storyline will get developed faster.

Tatiana AH wrote: "The Savannah books reminded me of her YA series. A lot of running around, and not much happening."

Agreed, AH. Some hooking up would be nice too.

Tatiana Francesca (Dalmatian29) wrote: "I enjoyed Waking The Witch! I love Savannah, but I'm hoping the Adam storyline will get developed faster."

You'll probably like this one as well. There is more Adam.

Tatiana It was her initial intention to have all the novels in the series independent. There are advantages and disadvantages to it, to be sure.

Julia Thank you Tatiana for your review and linking it to Kelley Armstrong's blog to explain this book and Waking the Witch...