Stacey Brutger's Reviews > Blades of Magic

Blades of Magic by Terah Edun

DESCRIPTION:
It is not a peaceful time in the Algardis Empire. War is raging between the mages and seventeen-year-old Sara Fairchild will be right in the middle of it.

She just doesn't know it yet.

Sara is the daughter of a disgraced imperial commander, executed for desertion. Sara is also the best duelist and hand-to-hand combatant in Sandrin. She lives quietly with her family's shame but when challenged about her family's honor, her opponent inevitably loses.

On the night she finds out her father's true last actions, she takes the Mercenary Guilds' vows to serve in the emperor's army. Using her quick wits and fierce fighting skills, she earns a spot in the first division.

There she discovers secrets the mages on both sides would prefer stay hidden. Dark enemies hunt her and soon it's not just Sara questioning the motivation behind this war.

While fighting mages, blackmailing merchants and discovering new friends, Sara comes across something she's never had before - passion. The question is - can she fight for her empress against a mage who might unwittingly claim her heart?

This is year one of the Initiate Wars. Sara is hoping it doesn't become the year she dies.

REVIEW:
We are introduced to Sara very dramatically, and I absolutely loved the opening fight scene. We're immediately dropped into her life as a daughter of a disgraced soldier. Sara was treated as a pariah, where her survival rested on the sword skills her father had taught her. Despite having everything taken from her, she refused to lose her honor, too.

But when Sara discovered that her father might not be guilty, she can't let go of the need to uncover what really happened. Her decision changed the course of her life. Now she was on the run from people who will do everything in their power to stop her from discovering the truth. It will take all her skill with her sword and magic to survive.

I absolutely enjoyed reading this adventure. Sara's sword fighting ability was amazing, not to mention the fascinating way she controlled her magic - Berserkers anyone? Her sidekick was a hoot! Their introduction just phenomenal. The combination of action and mystery, plus magic and drama kept me hooked. I've enjoyed both the story and the characters. Unfortunately, the ending just stopped in the middle of the action. Very disappointing. I will be reading part two, grudgingly, but only because the book was so enjoyable.

Posted from my site: www.StaceyBrutger.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blades of Magic.

Started Reading