Nikki's Reviews > Out of the Shallows

Out of the Shallows by Samantha Young

liked it
bookshelves: pointless-sequels, meh-bleh-why, dumbass-heroines, dumbass-hero, bat-shit-cray-cray

2.5 Stars

Ok I am torn with this one. I saw a lot of hate for Charley in reviews because she was so wishy washy with Jake. That was an aspect of the 1st book that drove me freaking crazy, in that, he dumped his gf and she immediately went right back to him and didn’t make him work for it at all. I was not the biggest Jake fan going into this book based on those extra POV’s we got after the 1st book, so stringing him along was fine by me. Even if her reasoning was completely bat shit crazy, and yes I will admit it was pretty dumb and anti-climactic but again not a Jake fan going into this so she could have batted that bunny around all she wanted.

What really drove ME bat shit crazy were all the time lapses, like migraine inducing. Don’t read this with alcohol, you need full mental capacity to keep track of what month of 2013 it is. If you are going to do a past/present sorta deal, make it freaking count. Like make it at least a year or something, my goodness. That is what ultimately killed it for me, the flow was just all over the damn place and it got some jumbled by like 80% I really could have cared less who was with who, I just wanted the roller coaster ride to end. And this rollercoaster isn’t the fun kind where you have crazy ass drops that hurt so good, no this is the rollercoaster that jacks you from side to side, turns you upside down, until your puking your corny dog, funnel cake out for all to see.

I digress…I was also kind of sad not to see more of Lowe. Lowe fan right here, Jake not so much. Charley def lost her cool points from the 1st book too. So still torn, am I glad I read it? I guess?? But do you need too? Nah…the 1st book was fine all on its own and I didn’t feel this additional novel was warranted or even needed as it did nothing to advance the story or build the characters stories. Would I continue to read this series? Hells yes, if it’s a Lowe book. So bummed it didn’t work out, but can’t win em all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Shallows.

May 7, 2014 – Started Reading
May 7, 2014 – Shelved
May 7, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 7, 2014 –
44.0% "Omg, the time lapses. Can't.Take.It.Anymore\n description"
May 7, 2014 – Shelved as: pointless-sequels
May 7, 2014 – Shelved as: meh-bleh-why
May 7, 2014 – Shelved as: dumbass-hero
May 7, 2014 – Shelved as: dumbass-heroines
May 7, 2014 – Shelved as: bat-shit-cray-cray
May 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Can I like this review 100 times??? LOL!! And this --> "this is the rollercoaster that jacks you from side to side, turns you upside down, until your puking your corny dog, funnel cake out for all to see."

^^*dies laughing*

Nikki :):):) Thx luv! Can you tell this one struck a nerve? Ain't nobody messing with my funnel cake.

description

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) LMAO!! I could tell lololol ;)

Sara Totally agree!!

message 5: by *J* Too Many Books Too Little Time (last edited May 07, 2014 08:24PM) (new) - added it

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time And another one bites the dust.....great review friend! I'm dying laughing!!

Nikki Sara wrote: "Totally agree!!"

Thx Sara :) I was hoping for a lot out of this one, I really enjoyed the 1st book.

message 7: by Nikki (last edited May 07, 2014 08:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nikki J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie* wrote: "And another one bites the dust.....great review friend! I'm dying laughing!!"

And another one gone, and another gone :)

Thx chica! I was going to start Archer's Voice tonight to get outta this funk, but I got sucked into Sons of Anarchy on Netflix. All is good with the world now that I can drool over my Jax Teller lol.

Mysza Great review Nikki! Yay for Lowe!

[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥ Lol love ur review Nikki. This was a bust for me too