Lola 's Reviews > Dorothy Must Die

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle  Paige

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, most-promising-new-series-of-2014, best-world-building
Recommended for: Fans of The Wizard of Oz and retellings.

description

Oh gosh, where shall I start?

This book…was really something; an amazing thing.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

4 ''It made my day'' stars

To be honest, I never absolutely was a big fan of Dorothy’s story in The Wizard of Oz, which means I was a little reluctant to buy this one. Ok, I was very reluctant. Except, reviewers kept bringing up how a great retelling this one is, and I just love retellings of any sorts. And thank you Belle for the recommendation.

The story...

It hooked me from page one. It started very ‘contemporary’ with Amy’s (MC) memories and her being at school and how girls bully her. I felt kind of bad for her because she didn’t necessarily deserve the crap bitches gave her, but there were sure moments when she needed to shut the hell up. Then we learn how her mom has drinking problems and I started to actually sympathize with Amy. Just imagining how her constant life must be like made my heart sink.

description

This wasn’t a happy story, but it wasn’t either one filled with only horror and tragedy.

The writing…

Can I just say WOW a thousand times? Because I totally would. The way Danielle Paige brought the characters to life was impressive and remarkable. I was worried I couldn’t connect with them, and that I would feel like they aren’t ‘real’ because of the fantasy Oz world which I never really believed in. I mean, it sure isn’t real, but it truly never got my attention as it did to most people. Although, this one did hook me. I also liked the way the author made the comparisons to Dorothy’s story.

This fictional retelling inspired by The Wizard of Oz feels like its sequel. If you’re a fan of that story, stop reading this review. You technically don’t need to know more to convince yourself to read this book. JUST.READ.IT.

description

The writing pace was perfectly suiting the story; neither fast nor slow. No problem there at all. In some moments, it may seem to you fast or maybe slow, depending, but globally it’s just absolutely ‘right’. It’s not the kind of book that’ll take you one month or more to read but, of course, it depends of you at the end. Don’t get scared by the number of pages, that’s all I’m really meaning to say.

The romance...

Was not the main attraction of this story. Actually, it was present but absolutely not at the beginning. The romance starts after one hundred or more pages. If you’ve read the synopsis and eyed the shelved, I bet you already knew that, but I felt like I needed to clarify it. If you’re a hopeless romance lover in the YA genre, I’m not sure you’ll enjoy this book as much as you usually do, but it definitely is a great first book in a new series. And it’s good to have some change and read something completely different sometimes.

Did I talk about the world building?
Well, I’ll let you discover that by yourself. *Winks*
Seriously, think Oz after an evil mind has taken control of it.

Overall, this book equals:

Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dorothy Must Die.

May 5, 2014 – Shelved
May 9, 2014 – Started Reading
May 9, 2014 –
page 159
35.18% "THIS.IS.GOOD. Seriously, wow."
May 10, 2014 –
page 300
66.37% "I'm impressed, and I LOVE the worldbuilding.\n \n description"
May 10, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Lola (last edited May 10, 2014 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lola Princess Belle wrote: "I know!! :)"

Thanks for the recommendation by the way! I was planning on reading it someday, but you made me want to read it right away! =)

Samantha Trillium ☂ I'm right in the middle of reading it myself. I'm loving it!!!

Lola Samantha wrote: "I'm right in the middle of reading it myself. I'm loving it!!!"

It's impressive, right? And the characters are great!

Samantha Trillium ☂ And so dark! That first encounter with the tin woodsman!!! Poor Indigo!!!

Lola Yeah!! I actually prefered this 'dark' retelling to the actual story of Dorothy. x)

message 6: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe I agree with everything in this review! I agree...seeing the dark take on Dorothy's story was so cool! :D And the writing was so great, wasn't it? <3 Like you said, the world-building is more something you have to see for yourself than have explained, but I'm glad you liked it as much as I did! :D

Lola Yes, the writing was surprisingly good!! I loved its style. Danielle Paige is definitely an author I'm looking forward to reading books from. Thanks Zoe, I'm glad you liked it too! xx

Harriet ~ bookworm Ooo I'm intrigued! Seen loads about this lately.. May need to try it soon! Great review :) x x

message 9: by Lola (last edited May 10, 2014 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lola Harriet wrote: "Ooo I'm intrigued! Seen loads about this lately.. May need to try it soon! Great review :) x x"

This one was seriously one of the most interesting books I've read lately! Yes, yes try to find it some time; it's definitely worth it! ;) Thank you so much, gorgeous eyes! xo

Harriet ~ bookworm Yay I will!! I'm not a huge fan of Wizard Of Oz like you so if you still enjoyed it I should.. Hopefully! Aww thank you, beaut *mwah* x

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more If Captain Jack thinks says it's awesome, that's good enough for me ;) Great review, Lola! I did love the original Oz stories, and that was reason enough for me to (*cough* preorder *cough*) want to read this book. SOON!

Lola Hahahaha, yeah listen to handsome Jack. ;) Thank you, Jessica! I can't wait to read your thoughts on this one! xo

message 13: by • Lisa • (new)

• Lisa • Terrific review, Lola ❤️

Lola Thanks so much, Lisa! xo

message 15: by Hershey (new)

Hershey Great review, Lola :)

Lola Thanks a lot, Hershey! :D

message 17: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Great review! Your reviews always leave me curious and wanting to read the darn books. I have huge piles,lol:D

Lola Hahahahhaha, I'm so happy to hear that (not for the big piles though!) Thanks a lot, Cindy! :Dx

message 19: by Liz (new) - rated it 1 star

Liz Ha! So you recommend it?? I read many different reviews that made me doubt whether this book is really worth reading, but yours is quite convincing!
Fantastic review! :)

Lola I truly would, if you like dark fairy tale retellings! Thank you so much, Liz! :D

message 21: by Rita Duckworth (new)

Rita Duckworth xp kg l. j xčc