Carla *Jen7waters*'s Reviews > Salt & Stone

Salt & Stone by Victoria Scott

liked it
bookshelves: 2015-published, 2015-read, no-love-triangle

Here's the thing, I like this series, the idea of the story is completely MAD, but I like how the author puts it on paper, and I especially like the characters and how they interact with each other.
The heroine, Tella, is a sweetheart, smart, witty, brave (even if she’s so scared), and it warms my heart how she treats the Pandoras--which is probably my favorite thing about this series (I WANT THEM ALL). She’s also quite stubborn and proud, and not that I think these are negative traits (they're a big part of my persona too), but I did have few problems with her attitude at some point, which leads me to Guy, the swoon worthy hero and love interest. Yes, he worries about Tella a lot and tries to protect her from all the evils of the race, but considering where they are and what they’re doing, it’s totally understandable, and even if I do love her, sometimes I honestly don’t get why Tella is so hard on him. They were okay at the end of Fire & Flood, but sometime during the initial chapters of this sequel she decides to start giving him the cold shoulder, because she realizes that he's aware she only survived the first half of the race because of him, like, what the hell, Tella? Can you please tone down on the attitude just a little notch? It’s okay to get help from others, and just because he knows he helped you survive, it doesn’t mean he thinks you’re helpless.
Also, it doesn’t seem fair to me that she doesn’t want to tell him how she feels about him but then gets all upset and walks way a couple of times because she pressures him to talk about his feelings and he can’t quite do it either. Girl, if you can’t do something, don’t give others a hard time for the same reason. I understand that since they ended up on good terms in the first book, something had to happen to put pressure on the romance, to make the couple argue and whatnot—I understand that this needed to happen to keep the reader hooked and rooting ferociously for them again, but I hate it when the obstacles are silly things that make me roll my eyes a dozen times. The whole time I was like, Really, Tella? Really? Reeeeaaallly?

Things that made me uncomfortable:
-The violent scenes with the Pandoras, I legit can't handle scenes where horrible things happen to animals, and the Pandora Wars totally tested my limits. Little did I know that there was an even more dreadful scene waiting for me towards the end.
-Tella (view spoiler)
-I can't even talk about the Jaxen thing. Can't.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Overall, I think this was a good sequel, even if I do have quite a few complaints.

I hope a third book gets to be published because I really want 1. to know what happens next and 2. my sweet, sweet Madox back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salt & Stone.

May 5, 2014 – Shelved
May 5, 2014 – Shelved as: wishlist
May 5, 2014 – Shelved as: 2015-published
March 25, 2015 – Started Reading
March 26, 2015 –
page 54
March 26, 2015 –
page 99
24.32% "I missed the Pandoras so muuuuch. Madox****\n Image and video hosting by TinyPic"
page 126
page 146
35.87% "Just adopt the alligator already, Tella."
page 148
36.36% "whaaaa?? omg i'm gonna be sick"
page 174
42.75% " Image and video hosting by TinyPic"
page 201