Gary 's Reviews > Equal Rites

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

Read 2 times

Fun reading

This is book one of the Witches segment of Discworld. The characters are lively and likable. The magic system is comedic with a dark bite. Mixed into the slapstick silliness is a grain of philosophy and social commentary that is often highly quotable and thought provoking.
The story reads like Wicca meets Harry Potter meets the theory of relativity meets The Dark Crystal. I found myself slowing down and rereading sections of the story to make sure I followed it correctly. A lot happens in a short period of time in this story, and at times I felt like I missed something.
I read the first Rincewind prior to this, and had heard the Witches storyline was better. This is only the second discworld book I have read. I do like the Witches story slightly better, but Rincewind was good also. I plan to read both and work my way through this series.
For years, I put off reading these because it didn't really seem like the type of story I would enjoy. I'm glad, because now I have them all ahead of me to read this summer. They make nice, comedic filler between my more serious reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Equal Rites.

Quotes Gary Liked

Terry Pratchett
“Hilta laughed like someone who had thought hard about Life and had seen the joke.”

Terry Pratchett
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”

Terry Pratchett
“She considered that the future was a frail enough thing at best, and if people looked at it hard they changed it. Granny had some quite complex theories about space and time”

Finished Reading
May 3, 2014 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
May 3, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
May 3, 2014 –
15.0% "Interesting magic system with Granny putting her soul in animals and such." (Paperback Edition)
May 4, 2014 –
30.0% "Likable characters in a creative world. It reminds me more than a little of Gaiman." (Paperback Edition)
May 4, 2014 –
45.0% "I love the characters in this storyline." (Paperback Edition)
May 4, 2014 –
60.0% "Harry Potter meets Neil Gaiman. Fun read." (Paperback Edition)
May 5, 2014 – Shelved
May 5, 2014 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Desinka I'm glad you've decided to read the series;) This was the only fantasy I felt like reading for years. Most of the books are great fun (I don't think I've read all of them but most. I love the witches a lot but I love the Guard even better:) I hope you'll have fun with the entire series;)

message 2: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary Desinka wrote: "I'm glad you've decided to read the series;) This was the only fantasy I felt like reading for years. Most of the books are great fun (I don't think I've read all of them but most. I love the witch..."

I am looking forward to the guard series also. I am looking at some more serious books I have lying around, looking at these Rincewind books, and I really want to keep going with Pratchett. They're a combination of funny and thought provoking that seem to really resonate with me right now.

Pierre I love the Guards books best also, closely followed by the Witches.
But they are all great, although I still have to read the last three most recently published.

Pierre (Aaagh!) Right now, you're just tipping your toes in Discworld. Once you get introduced to a lot of the characters in the different plot lines, you then start following them in all sorts of adventures and it just keeps getting better.

message 5: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary Pierre wrote: "ight now, you're just tipping your toes in Discworld. Once you get introduced to a lot of the characters in the different plot lines, you then start following them in all sorts of adventures and it..."

I can hardly wait. I also ordered the first three Fafnir Grey Mouser books based on a rec you made to me quite awhile ago Pierre. They should be arriving soon.