Jaime Arkin's Reviews > The Expert's Guide to Driving a Man Wild

The Expert's Guide to Driving a Man Wild by Jessica Clare

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, romance, series, 2014-real-book-challenge, read-in-2014

So, this was my first book in the ‘Bluebonnet’ series . I liked it well enough, but to be honest, I just didn’t love it.

Brenna is the unpredictable, free-spirit and Grant… well, he’s not. He’s straight-laced and still mourning the death of his wife from five years ago. When Grant’s family shows up for an extended visit, and the pressure is immediately on him to move on, Brenna does the only thing she can think of. Pretend to be his girlfriend.

I don’t know if it’s because I didn’t read the previous novels in this series, because it’s possible, but I didn’t really feel any kind of connection for either Grant or Brenna here. By the end of the book they just felt so flat to me, and that’s even when all the secrets are revealed.

For Brenna, I guess I ultimately understood her issues… but I don’t know if it 100% made sense to me. (view spoiler)

For Grant… I don’t know, I guess for still mourning his wife as much as he apparently did, I felt like he just jumped into bed with Brenna without a second thought. Add in the fact that after the first time they sleep together he’s pushing for a commitment… and It just didn’t really work for me.

That said, Clare does a great job with the chemistry between these two. There are some definite steamy and hot moments in this book! There are of course, the misunderstandings and the making up and it’s definitely a bit predictable, but it works for a lighthearted romance. For the most part, this was a cute read, and I can definitely see where this series will expand.

If you’re looking for a new series with a small town feel, and some definite steam, check out the Bluebonnet Series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Expert's Guide to Driving a Man Wild.

Started Reading