M. Lawrence's Reviews > Titan

Titan by Stephen Baxter

May 05, 2014

liked it

I'll go ahead and admit it right now: I skipped through most of the beginning of this book, finding the political intrigue on Earth tedious and boring. I wanted to get into the Titan stuff as fast as possible.

I'll give Baxter this: he's done his research, and I was continually impressed with his descriptions of a possible voyage to Titan and what landing and exploring this alien world might be like. Ultimately, I found myself feeling oppressed and a bit depressed by the futility of life on Titan for the intrepid astronauts who survived the voyage and managed to eke out an existence there.

The final chapter or two are the weirdest part of the book (no spoilers here), and while I appreciated seeing what Titan might be like a few hundred million years in the future, the whole thing ultimately felt empty and meaningless to me.

The final message of the book: life will go on, somehow, somewhere, though in strange and entirely unknown forms. And maybe that's a message of hope for some. For me, somehow, I was looking for more.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Titan.

Started Reading