Kimber Wheaton's Reviews > Fires of Man

Fires of Man by Dan Levinson

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Fires of Man is not my normal read, but it's always nice to step outside a rut and experience something different. This is book one in a three book series and ends in a cliffhanger that will leave the reader desperate for the next book. I usually prefer a bit more closure, but I know cliffhanger endings are very popular.

I'm not really sure where this novel takes place, and based on the interview above, we're not meant to know yet. It's an intriguing world, similar to our and yet different on many levels. I really enjoyed the myriad of characters. Of course that brings up my main complaint with the story. The constant shifting in point of view from character to character made the story disjointed at times. This story doesn't just follow one or two main characters, but several, each with their own story arcs.

I loved the world building. Mr. Levinson does an amazing job painting a picture of his fictional world. So will you enjoy it? I'm going to categorize Fires of Man as a sweeping urban sci-fi epic. There's a heavy fantasy element with the psionic powers, and also a strong military/war aspect. It isn't a light read but rather an immersive experience. Definitely worth a try in my opinion... just don't forget about the cliffhanger at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fires of Man.

May 4, 2014 – Shelved