Kapila's Reviews > The London Eye Mystery

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

Mar 06, 2010

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, mysteries, teen
Read in March, 2010

I listened to this book and finished it in the wee hours of this morning after my melatonin failed to keep me sleeping, notwithstanding the honey bunny watching a movie in bed, and the one cat who came in at 3am looking for lovies, upon which the other cat was overcome by a fit of jealous rage and promptly left the room. Thank Goodness for audiobooks. And ipods.

Okay. So. The London Eye Mystery. Susan Schuler had been telling me about this book for years (well, since 2008 anyway, when she read it), and I'm glad that I finally got a chance to read it. I liked the narrator - Ted, a boy of 12 whose brain runs on a "different operating system" from most others. Though the subject heading for this book includes "Asberger's syndrome," this isn't stated explicitly in the book, to the best of my knowledge. Ted is passionate about the weather - he wants to be a weatherman when he grows up; he listens to shipping forecasts in the middle of the night when he can't sleep (as I listened to him when I couldn't!), and seems to collect and remember idiomatic expressions that have to do with the weather. I also wanted to read a story about a boy - an oddly peripheral character since he's the one who goes missing - who is biracial. The present-day, London setting was refreshing. As was the mystery of Salim's disappearance! The story was told sympathetically, from Ted's point of view, about all characters as seen through Ted's eyes - his parents, his sister, and his aunt who is collapsing over the two days that Salim disappears. I don't want to give too much away. This is a good, solid read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The London Eye Mystery.