Nicole's Reviews > I Am Legend and Other Stories

I Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard Matheson

May 03, 2014

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** I hated to give this such a poor rating. Because the characterization of Robert was perfect as well as his evolution to learning how to cope on the world as it had become. The science introduced on how the germ invaded to create these "vampires" was well described and didn't go over my head. I felt his pain at the loss of his loved ones and rooted him on when he felt like he was getting close to a cure.

I hated the ending though and thought the book could have gone on longer. I thought it ended too soon. Plus, I felt like Robert gave up on fighting and should have moved on and sought to continue finding a cure. I didn't get the "give up and take death" vibe from this character as he had such a fight to live. I almost thought it was a sign of bad writing, like the author struggled to end it.

I did see the movie first and thought that - based on what other's said - the ending would have been different. I assumed that meant he wouldn't have died. BAD to assume because I built it up to be a different sort of ending.

Plus the short stories following it, threw me off.

Anyways, excellent story, I just didn't like the ending, which definitely influences my rating overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Legend and Other Stories.

Finished Reading