Michelle Leah Olson's Reviews > The Kraken King and the Fox's Den

The Kraken King and the Fox's Den by Meljean Brook

bookshelves: to-read, literal-addiction-books, reviewed

Our Review by LITERAL ADDICTION's Vivacious Valkyrie - Marta:
*Copy gifted in exchange for an honest review

The third instalment of what is turning out to be a cracking steampunk series. Fans of this author will not be disappointed and it's a fabulous introduction to what is still quite a new genre to many. Filled with incredible world building and often hilarious dialogue this series is an amazing find and one not to be missed!

Ariq is many things ,he is governor of Krackentown, a former soldier and now a man consumed by lust for the perplexing Zenobia Fox! She's survived an airship attack, drowning at sea, death by giant worm and now fights against the incredible attraction for Ariq! Oh he wants her and he's pretty sure that if she were to be brutally honest she would admit the same but Zenobia is not what she pretends to be. She's sending letters written in code and Ariq cannot just stand idly by and allow those he's sworn to protect get hurt .
So the charade continues ...for now! Ariq has agreed to help Zenobia and her friend Helene reach Red City but the danger they all face is catching up. Marauders are attacking and if something isn't done soon the Empress will wipe out all who stand against her. Traveling inland leads Zenobia directly into the path of danger and worse , an old enemy !

So much detail has gone into this book. I am thoroughly riveted by this story and each instalment just ramps up the tension . I've read steampunk stories before so am quite used to the amazing machines and engineering often mentioned but this author has included subjects that astound me , I mean giant worms, zombies? Trust me this series is so original and full of surprises that each page feels like a revelation and it's truly such fun!
Yes there is a romance building but it's part of the story and not just an excuse for the story. I don't know which I'm enjoying the most, the fledgling relationship that's brimming with sexual tension or the incredible world building . No I think I've decided , it's such an amazing ride that I just love it all!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kraken King and the Fox's Den.

May 3, 2014 – Shelved