Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)'s Reviews > Falling Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

bookshelves: high-fantasy, this-is-fucking-awesome
Read 2 times. Last read February 10, 2017 to February 22, 2017.

Blog review @Scaredy Engines End of Line Library

There is a lot of drama and plot twists in this book. A lot. Which is what made it so enjoyable for me! :D

First of all the characters and world were so richly developed I could not guess what was around the next corner. Like I've said in other reviews one of the most enjoyable aspects of a high fantasy novel is the world building and Myticas history was full of intrigue not to mention how I loved the stories from the past catching up and intertwining with the characters of present. In a way it felt like everything was explained at the end of the book regarding the intentions of the characters and the magic at stake, but with definite room for more adventures and more problems to solve. (This is an ongoing series after all)

I liked how the author managed to create a believable world and fill it with complex characters whose intentions aren't always clear at least not until the end. In fact the characters were so well written that their feelings and actions felt real to me. Cleo was a character I didn't like at the beginning but I feel she really grew out of that spoiled princess cast and came to realise there was a lot at stake. That cliffhanger ending with her definitely makes me want to grab the next book ASAP.

On my copy there is a statement which says "perfect for fans of game of thrones ". I cannot comment on this as I have never read the book or seen the tv series. But I have a general idea as to what game of thrones is about and based on that idea I would say that statement is right. Highly recommended

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Kingdoms.

Quotes Rusty's Ghost Engine Liked

Morgan Rhodes
“Even in the darkest and most cruel person, there is still a kernel of good. And within the most perfect champion, there is darkness. The question is, will one give in to the dark or the light? It's something we decide with every choice we make, every day that we exist. What might not be evil to you could be evil to someone else. Knowing this makes us powerful even without magic.”
Morgan Rhodes, Falling Kingdoms

Morgan Rhodes
“Even paradise could become a prison if one had enough time to take notice of the walls.”
Morgan Rhodes, Falling Kingdoms

May 3, 2014 – Shelved
May 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 10, 2017 – Started Reading
February 10, 2017 – Started Reading
February 10, 2017 –
page 1
0.24% "Not gonna gush about this because that seems to always make me end up enjoying the book less overall. But I will admit I've been wanting to read a high fantasy for quite some time now"
Finished Reading
February 17, 2017 –
page 89
21.6% "Yessss love all these high tensions....."
February 22, 2017 – Shelved as: high-fantasy
February 22, 2017 – Shelved as: this-is-fucking-awesome
February 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Irtika Ugh, i think I have to reread this book again. I didn't like it the first time i read it for some reason I don't know, but i feel like I'm missing out a lot. I've heard the series gets better and better.

Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring) Ira wrote: "Ugh, i think I have to reread this book again. I didn't like it the first time i read it for some reason I don't know, but i feel like I'm missing out a lot. I've heard the series gets better and b..."

I definitely enjoyed this book more than I thought i would. For me it was the world history and the way things were revealed. Judging by the way this book ended i also would seriously expect further books to get better :D