Alex's Reviews > Sword & Mythos

Sword & Mythos by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

The 140 character review:

Sword & Mythos: everything you want from Robert E. Howard, minus the questionable race and gender views.

(Or at least an entirely different and self-aware set of views.) If you like sword and sorcery stories, there's something in here for you. If you like your fantasy creatures to be born of nightmare, there's something in here for you.

LIGHT by Diana L. Paxson is my favorite of the anthology by a safe margin. It is the perfect mix of AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS and THE CAIRN ON THE HEADLAND that sprouted from the seed of a nested story in the CALL OF CTHULHU. It also included solid details about the Society for Creative Anachronism, providing a plausible mechanism for the protagonist to have training with medieval weapons. I just wish she had more opportunities to show off her knightly skills.

THE BONES OF HEROES by Orrin Grey comes in second. This little flash piece is beautifully chilling in its simplicity.

In SUN SORROW by Paul Jessup we get to see the world from the perspective of one who has read The King in Yellow. The reader is led to wonder what is real and what is a haunting delusion.

TRUTH IS ORDER AND ORDER IS TRUTH by Nadia Bulkin does a very nice job establishing the society that Obed Marsh meets on his expeditions.

IN XOCHITL IN CUICATL IN SHUB-NIGGURATH by Nelly Geraldine Garcia-Rosas drenches the blood sacrifices of the Incas in the trappings of the Elder Gods. There's some gorgeous gore and imagery in this one.

THE SERPENTS OF ALBION by Adrian Chamberlin take on the Arthurian legend has some of the most gorgeously drawn and florid gore that I have ever read.

THE SORROW OF QINGFENG by Grey Yuen has the sword & sorcery element firmly lodged in a fantastical kung-fu movie. You can't even see the wires.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sword & Mythos.

Quotes Alex Liked

Edward M. Erdelac
“All of them were shriveled, desiccated, bone-thin and skeletal, every jaw cruelly broken, opening and closing in mute entreaty, the teeth clacking together like macabre wind chimes as they pendulated in the lurching trees.”
Edward M. Erdelac, Sword & Mythos

Orrin Grey
“The spiders that spin their webs in the corners make music that tells me of his approach.”
Orrin Grey, Sword & Mythos

May 3, 2014 – Started Reading
May 3, 2014 – Shelved
May 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 4, 2014 –
May 18, 2014 –
19.0% "In SUN SORROW we get to see the world from the perspective of one who has read The King in Yellow. What is real and what is a haunting delusion?"
May 29, 2014 –
34.0% "TRUTH IS ORDER AND ORDER IS TRUTH does a very nice job establishing the society that Obed Marsh meets on his expeditions."
June 7, 2014 –
34.0% "LIGHT filled me with joy. It is the perfect mix of AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS and THE CAIRN ON THE HEADLAND that sprouted from the seed of a nested story in the CALL OF CTHULHU. It was also included solid details about the SCA, providing a plausible mechanism for the protagonist to have training with medieval weapons. I just wish she had more opportunities to show off her knightly skills."
June 7, 2014 –
60.0% "LIGHT filled me with joy. It is the perfect mix of AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS and THE CAIRN ON THE HEADLAND that sprouted from the seed of a nested story in the CALL OF CTHULHU. It was also included solid details about the SCA, providing a plausible mechanism for the protagonist to have training with medieval weapons. I just wish she had more opportunities to show off her knightly skills."
June 15, 2014 – Finished Reading