Ian's Reviews > The Fall of Hyperion

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Mar 05, 2010

bookshelves: author-knows-my-life, blew-my-mind, fits-like-a-glove, must-read-again, question-reality, kicked-my-ass, audiobook, all-time-favorites
Read from March 18 to April 21, 2010

The narrator, Victor Bevine, is one of my favorites. He narrates all the other audio versions of the Hyperion Cantos, including the first, dramatized version of Hyperion itself. I gave five stars to the underlying written work. I only subtract a star for this audiobook because Mr. Bevine isn't quite up to the task of doing all the characters--particularly all the Shrike Pilgrims--by himself. Still, this audiobook is a great way to re-read Fall of Hyperion.

Merged review:

Having read Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion twice each, and now having read Endymion and Rise of Endymion, the third and fourth books in Dan Simmons' so-called Hyperion Cantos, I can say my initial reaction to the first two books stands: they're the best pair of books I've read regardless of genre, certainly the most influential books to me personally. Indeed, I now consider the first two books required reading for anyone who enjoys reading contemporary fiction, science fiction, and even non-fiction in the religious, theological, and philosophical veins.

One could read the first two books of the Hyperion Cantos and stop there; they represent a complete, satisfying story that gives you plenty to think about beyond the actual plot-lines themselves. But if you want to get the full meaning, see the entire subtle complexity, understand Dan Simmons' fears for a sickening and stagnant human future as well as his hopes for the fulfillment of human potential, an optimistic utopian outlook that seems at once utterly attainable and so far away, I suggest you read all four books.

I would love to write more about each book individually and the four books taken together, but they are simply too important to me. I read these books over the course of 2010, which is turning out to be the best year of my life in many ways, and the Hyperion Cantos have had an important and positive influence on my thinking about God and religion and love and family. Simply put, these books are close to my heart, and nothing else I say will do them justice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of Hyperion.

09/15/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte I've always meant to read these, looks like I really need to do so. I saw them in the library - in english, too, which is even better :D

Theresa McKee The 3rd or 4th prime I reread this series, I listens to it on audio, and Victor Bevine's rendering is fantastic!