Nicola Mansfield's Reviews > Aphrodite: Goddess of Love

Aphrodite by George O'Connor

I love Greek mythology but have to say that when knowing the next book was actually about the Goddess of "Love" I wasn't as excited as with the previous books in this series. However, O'Connor went in a great direction with his retelling of Aphrodite's story. He starts back at the beginning with Kaos and Gaea and re-tells the whole story of creation and the Olympians as was done in the first book "Zeus", though this time very quickly and from the point of view of Eros from which Athena is formed. After a few tales of Athena's interfering in occasions of love with her always present sidekick, Eros (better known by his Roman name, Cupid), O'Connor chooses to focus on the Judgement of Paris and the Golden Apple. This opens up a whole future of tensions and the set up for the epic War of Troy. O'Connor has added some modern sensibilities to his female characters and modern thoughts on the theme of love which some readers may appreciate, but this reader didn't bringing my rating down to a four. Otherwise, George's art is as divine as usual and I look forward to the next book but am at a loss to find it not advertised at the back of this one. Who will be featured next?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aphrodite.

Started Reading