Bry's Reviews > The Splendor Falls

Mar 05, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, young-adult, urban-fantasy, mystery, favorites
Read from May 10 to 14, 2010

Overall 4.5 stars!

The Splendor Falls centers around Sylvie, a retired principal ballerina. A career that means she is an extremely skinny person much to the chagrin of her Southern relatives who want to feed her mercilessly. She even claims at one point that another character Clara "feeds her like [she's:] and underweight turkey in September"! LOL! Now that her career is over due to an injury she is in a funk as she is having to replan her once determined future. Her mother has also just married and is going on her honeymoon so Sylvie is shipped off to Alabama to regroup so to speak. And that's when everything goes wonky, crazy, and creepy! Oh and she meets the oh so handsome Rhys with his Welsh accent and Shawn with his good ole boy charm. The triangle between the 3 was entertaining but was very obvious from the start who the winner would be.

The first half of this book has an extremely slow start. I kept turning the pages less from suspense of the plot and more from the idea that eventually something had to happen. Sadly though it isn't until about 1/2 way through the book that things pick up a bit. The beginning could really benefit from some MAJOR condensing and editing.

The second half of the book though was fast paced, eerie, creepy, mysterious, everything enticing you to read faster and longer until you could discover what the hell was really going on right alongside Sylvie. The very end of the book wrapped things up just a little too nicely, everyone gets their come-up-ins in a way, which was a bit convenient, but I do love closure so it still worked for me,

And not that I have anything against little toy dogs (hell I have 2 Yorkshire terriers, one of them only 4lbs and the other 8) but they can be extremely annoying. Gigi though was all of the adorable and insanely cute things about toy dogs rolled into one with none of the annoying drawbacks like yipping and chewing all your stilettos into oblivion. And she always contributes to a scene. For example, Sylvie is walking off in a huff after yet another argument/misunderstanding/whatever with Rhys in the following scene:
For the second day in a row, I left him standing in the garden. Though I suspect the majesty of my departure was undermined by the Chihuahua prancing at my heels.
Just fabulous! That little dog acts as an ice breaker, a comedic relief, a friend, a comforter, and a savior. That's a lot of responsibility for a 6 lb long haired Chihuahua to shoulder yet she does it while prancing!

Overall the first half needed to be like 50 pages condensed and the second half could have had another 20 pages added on, thus minus 1/2 a star, but still awesome and highly recommended! I am actually sad that this is not a series because I would love to spend more time with Sylvie and GiGi!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Splendor Falls.

05/10 page 274
52.9% "500 page book and the action didn't really start up until around page 240. 1/2 wa in and still no idea what's up eithher family either." 10 comments
05/11 page 361
69.69% "Argh! I wanna stay up allnight to finish this book! Damn having a 9 to 5 job. :(" 2 comments
05/12 page 459
88.61% "Almost done!! Kinda predictable, but still really enjoying it."
01/21 marked as: read

Bookwatcher Great review!
So, it's a YA and Urban fantasy? I don't know what to do... i read one YA paranormal romance an love it ( My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles #1) by Alyxandra Harvey), but it's rare... I don't know if should try to read this one... but, TBR right away while I decide to buy it or not.

message 2: by Bry (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bry Despite the slow start I really loved it by the end! I wish it was a series now instead of a stand alone novel. I got my copy from the library.

The Drake Chronicle book looks awesome! It's now on my TBR list! Thanks!

Bookwatcher Bry wrote: "Despite the slow start I really loved it by the end! I wish it was a series now instead of a stand alone novel. I got my copy from the library.

The Drake Chronicle book looks awesome! It's ..."

YEAH!!! I like it! A lot!
I have to buy the second but the first was wonderful! Love the end! Sooooooooooo romantic!

message 4: by Katyana (new) - added it

Katyana Nice review! I love me some creepy books, so I might have to check this one out!

message 5: by Bry (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bry Highly recommend it Katyana!!

Millie Really good review :)

message 7: by Bry (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bry Thanks Millie!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Thank you for the review, i won this book at the book fair at school and i was wondering if it was any good. I hate slow beginnings though :/

message 9: by Bry (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bry It did have a slow start but other than that I really loved it!

message 10: by kwadwo (new) - added it

kwadwo Adam about to read and I hope it is fun