Nicola Alter's Reviews > The Final Empire

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

May 01, 2014

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy, high-fantasy, audiobooks

I know I’m jumping onto the bandwagon very late with this one – fantasy-lovers have been singing its praises for years – but I finally sunk my teeth into it this year and was grateful I did.

It’s a thoroughly gripping high fantasy that manages to avoid many of the clichés of the genre, introduces you to great characters you learn to love, and fascinates with a creative metal-based system of magic – 'allomancy'. It also introduced me to some of the most chilling monsters and creative fictional creatures I've ever encountered – the Kandra are fascinating, the Koloss are repulsive and the Steel Inquisitors are utterly terrifying!

The Final Empire is also simply one of those stories where the odds are stacked so high against the characters, and they endure such dreadful oppression and suffering, that I felt their every victory and every defeat with the keenest swells of triumph and despair. I also appreciated the accessible writing style that I sometimes find lacking in high fantasy series.

I might have been slow to read it, but it's on my favourites list now, and I'm looking forward to devouring more of Sanderson's books in future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Empire.

May 1, 2014 – Shelved
January 23, 2015 – Finished Reading
June 10, 2016 – Shelved as: high-fantasy
June 10, 2016 – Shelved as: audiobooks

message 1: by Luke (new) - added it

Luke Mercieca I've been trying to read this but I'm finding it hard to get into.

Rohan I like the way the powers work, haven seen much like this before. Great for fight scenes :)

Nicola Alter Luke wrote: "I've been trying to read this but I'm finding it hard to get into."

Yeah the start is a bit slow, but I really liked it once I got further into it. Toward the end it is particularly suspenseful!

Nicola Alter Rohan wrote: "I like the way the powers work, haven seen much like this before. Great for fight scenes :)"

I agree, those fight scenes were amazing, and so well described I could really picture them. Especially when he is fighting with the inquisitor. Man that was tense!

Rohan Yeah that's the scene I was picturing actually!

message 6: by Luke (new) - added it

Luke Mercieca My brother recommended the stories it because of the unique magic system. Getting the magic right is perhaps the hardest thing to do in writing fantasy fiction. Much of the grim dark fantasy seems to avoid magic (not necessarily magical creatures) most of the time. I remember listening to George R Martin say that he didn't like to much magic because it would unbalance his world. But magic is the thing that gives the fantasy in fantasy fiction.