Sarah Sammis's Reviews > Unseen Academicals

Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

Mar 04, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: borrowed, read-in-2010

I introduced my husband to the Discworld series back when we were dating in college. He has since gone on to be a fan of the series and I have settled into a love/hate relationship. Pratchett's books either completely wow me or completely turn me off.

Unseen Academicals is the 37th Discworld book. In this one, the faculty of Unseen University have to participate in a football game in order to keep their accreditation. There is also a strange sub plot involving fashion that never really went anywhere as far as I could tell.

My husband who has been in academia for most of his adult life either as a student or most recently as a professor, found the book hilarious and spot on. For me though I found the academic jokes few and far between, hidden amongst a whole bunch of dishwater dull sub plots. I skipped to the end and when the book even there refused to end (which is apparently funny), I gave up.

For a similar and better done version of the plot, I recommend episode 11 of Best Student Council, "Winning Five." Same plot but shorter and sillier.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unseen Academicals.

March 4, 2010 – Started Reading
March 4, 2010 – Shelved
March 4, 2010 – Shelved as: borrowed
April 21, 2010 –
page 84
April 21, 2010 –
page 148
37.0% "Want to like it. But so far it's only so-so."
April 22, 2010 – Shelved as: read-in-2010