C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Raven King

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2016, magical-fantasy, read-2016, paranormal, young-adult, audio-books, read-2017, reread, read-2019
Read 3 times. Last read October 14, 2019 to October 17, 2019.

[Reread 3] Oct 2019
For some reason this reread made me nearly cry??? Possibly because I still have about 3 weeks to wait until Call Down the Hawk and my heart officially aches so deeply for more time with dreamers and magicians. Possibly just because every time I reread this series, it fills another deep part of my heart. (I will absolutely be sentimental and teary right now, none can make me stopppp.)

This is a beautiful book. It unmakes you right before it fills you with wonder and whimsy and magic.

[Reread 2] Oct 2017:
So it's probably a little bit obvious that (a) this is my favourite favourite series, and (b) I still HAVE NO WORDS TO SUMMARISE WHAT IT MEANS TO ME. There are just some books/series that mean the absolute world to you because they fill you with everything you need. My heart is just that full whenever I read about the Raven boys. I love them. I live their story. I see MORE every time I read the books.

Like just. HOLY FREAKING TREES. It was even better the second time and I may cry.

• so originally I thought I didn't know what happened to Noah?? But this time, nope. IT EXPLAINS IT. I don't know how I missed it!
• I actually have realised there is an astronomically catastrophic level of Not Enough Pynch.
• where is my Ronan trilogy I need it now
• the level of FORESHADOWING AND CLEVER PLOT WEAVING slays me
• slayed lots of people hahhaha I'M SORRY IT'S TOO SOON
• it is so magical. it is pure magic
• it is complex and messy and beautiful
• I forgot that moment where Blue says "I want to be hanging out with my pretentious brat friends" and I'm like: same
• the ending makes me ache because I want more

Perfect book is perfect. That's all there is.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: April 2016

OKAY SO I'M FINALLY READY TO TALK ABOUT MY FEELINGS OF THIS MAGNIFICENT CREATURE OF A BOOK. I have waited for this for so so long. omg. SO LONG. And I would like to take a hipster moment to also say I've been a fan of Maggie Stiefvater for YEARS. Which leads me to always feeling her books are so very personal to me. Like they just get into my heart and make a little house there and stab me frequently with pointy knives and yet I still love them so so much.

I loved this book.

OBVIOUSLY.

(And all spoilers will be hidden in spoiler tags. But if you don't wanna know anything -- DON'T READ, OBVIOUSLY.)

...omg where do I even start?!??!

Firstly: the build up was so insane and my expectations were humungous. Probably too high. I made too many theories and read too many tumblr posts and drooled over too much fanart and cried too man times in anticipation. It didn't let me down, per se, NOPE. But it wasn't what I expected. Which is fiiiiiine, to me, because I TRUST Maggie Stiefvater.

I also knew a few things, from reading other Stiefvater books (like a MILLION TIMES) and I'm pleased that this is still a very Stiefvatery book. She must've been under SO MUCH PRESSURE for this one. But it was good. It was right.

ANYWAY. So let's compare my predictions/expectations to the realities:

My predictions:
• Gansey would die and come back to life.
• Ronan might also die or at least nearly die, due to something Adam said in BLLB.
• That Gansey would come back as Glendower and possibly have to relearn what it is to be Gansey again with the help of Blue & Co.
• The Grey Man and Maura would be AN ITEM FOREVER.
• Calla would make pie.
• #PYNCH WOULD SAIL.

The Realities Of These Predictions:
(view spoiler)

A LOT of my expectations were met! SO WHAT MORE CAN I ASK FOR?!?
Sure I was disappointed about a few things...but the characters were disappointed about a few things. And the fact that I felt what the characters felt can ONLY equal excellent writing, OKAY?!?

And omg there were so. many. plot. twists.
MASSIVE PLOT TWISTS. Some had me nearly shrieking my head off. Which was awkward since I was listening to an audio and my family thought I was INSANE (what's new, I suppose) but omgggg SO MANY EMOTIONS SO SO CONSTANTLY. I was an entire ball of anxiety.

The shippy shipping was GOOD.
Maggie Stiefvater teased that there would be two kisses....*shrieks* THERE WERE TWO KISSES. PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT KISSES.

Also this book was downright freaking creepy.
Like the other books HAD been sorta creepy? But I don't know if this was just the audio...but this took the CREEP up a new level. I mean, we have a demon lurking around here now. But just the intensity of the darkness and how every sentence conveyed this leaking demonic blackness was just AMAZING. I could feel it. I was mildly terrified. Hahahha. Just, um, yeah, that's just the sound of my mind BREAKING..

DID I MENTION THAT I AM A BROKEN BEAN, YET?!?
BECAUSE I KINDA AM. IT WAS GOOD BUT THIS BOOK HURT OKAY????? I AM JUST AJFDKSLAFDJA I'M SO IN LOVE WITH IT AND JUST KIND OF A MESS OF bOOK HANGOVERS AND DREAMS AND BEAUTIFUL LYRICAL WRITING AND INTENSE CHARACTER LOVE.

All the characters changed and developed so so much.
And that's a huge reason I ADORE this series. The character development. They are REAL people and they all feel like my best friends. So I kinda feel like I'm losing my best friends now that this series is over.

(Is it acceptable to reread yet? NO BUT REALLY...when my hardcover copy arrives, I'm re-reading immediately.)

Okay, um, OH FORGET IT. I NEED TO TALK SPOILERS. ALL THE SPOILERS ---> (view spoiler)

SO OF COURSE I'M A RABID FAN OF THIS BOOK.
I love ALL Stiefvater books and this is no different. It's beautiful. It attacked my feels and got into my soul and totally CONSUMED my brain and I just loved how it made me feel aaaaaall the things. IT'S LEFT ME WANTING MORE. It's left me believing in magic.

I AM SO VERY HAPPY.

ALSO KINDA BROKEN.

BUT HAPPY BROKEN.

(PS I would love to discuss it with you, of course, but please put any potential spoilers in spoiler tags. THANK YOU.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven King.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“He was a book, and he was holding his final pages, and he wanted to get to the end to find out how it went, and he didn't want it to be over.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Adam smiled cheerily. Ronan would start wars and burn cities for that true smile, elastic and amiable.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I don't care to be pretty," Blue shot back hotly, "I care to look on the outside like I look on the inside.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'm not asking him to stay, Ronan thought. Only to come back.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“The kitchen window groaned open, and Jimi shouted out, “Blue! Your boys are out front, looking like they’re fixing to bury a body.”
Again? Blue thought.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“No homework. I got suspended,” Blue replied.
“Get the fuck out,” Ronan said, but with admiration. “Sargent, you asshole.”
Blue reluctantly allowed him to bump fists with her as Gansey eyed her meaningfully in the rearview mirror.
Adam swivelled the other way in his seat – to the right, instead of to the left, so that he was peering around the far side of the headrest. It made him look as if he were hiding, but Blue knew it was just because it turned his hearing ear instead of his deaf ear towards them. “For what?”
“Emptying another student’s backpack over his car. I don’t really want to talk about it.”
“I do,” Ronan said.
“Well, I don’t. I’m not proud of it.”
Ronan patted her leg. “I’ll be proud for you.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“To think you could have been dreaming the cure for cancer," Blue said. "Look, Sargent," Ronan retorted, "I was gonna dream you some eye cream last night since clearly modern medicine's doing jack shit for you, but I nearly had my ass handed to me by a death snake from the fourth circle of dream hell, so you're welcome."
Blue was appropriately touched. "Ah, thanks, man."
"No problem, bro.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“His feelings for Adam were an oil spill; he'd let them overflow and now there wasn't a damn place in the ocean that wouldn't catch fire if he dropped a match.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Where the hell is Ronan?" Gansey asked, echoing the words that thousands of humans had uttered since mankind developed speech.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Inside, they pretended they would dream, but they did not. They sprawled on the living room sofa and Adam studied the tattoo that covered Ronan's back: all the sharp edges that hooked wondrously and fearfully into each other.
'Unguibus et rostro,' Adam said.
Ronan put Adam's fingers to his mouth.
He was never sleeping again.”

April 29, 2014 – Shelved
April 29, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
April 26, 2016 – Started Reading
April 26, 2016 –
page 20
4.56% "I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M FINNNNNNNALLY READING THIS. I AM ALREADY EMOTIONALLY COMPROMISED OKAY?!?!\n (PS. I'm listening to the audio so this is going to take a while....)"
April 28, 2016 –
page 200
45.56% "I AM AN ANXIETY."
April 30, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 25, 2016 – Shelved as: audio-books
October 17, 2017 – Started Reading
October 17, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "NO I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. I'M RE-READING AND MY HEART IS JUST ALL OVER THE PLACE ALREADY OK."
October 18, 2017 –
page 111
25.28% "Ronan: I am a badass of darkness.
Also Ronan: *gets out toy blocks for his raven to play with while he's busy working*"
October 18, 2017 –
page 171
38.95% "Book: It was 6:21...
Book: *ominous shadows crawl out of the darkness*
Me: well that's like the dinner time hour so idk all I'm saying is have we fed the darkness in case it has low blood sugar"
October 19, 2017 –
page 184
41.91% "ROUGH SUMMARY OF THE RAVEN CYCLE:

Ronan: Is your hand hurt?
Adam: not really
Ronan: let me see in case.
Adam: ok but--
Ronan: *NEVER LETS GO*
Ronan: *EVIL GRIN*"
October 20, 2017 –
page 321
73.12% "Ronan's eyes were still trained on the road ahead of them. A tear ran down his nose and clung to his chin, but he didn't so much as blink.

I WILL LITERALLY BURN DOWN THE WORLD FOR HURTING THE CINNAMON SON.

A SINGLE TEAR = EVERYBODY WHO EVER LOOKED AT RONAN WRONG WILL PAY."
October 21, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
October 21, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 26, 2018 – Shelved as: reread
October 14, 2019 – Started Reading
October 14, 2019 –
page 70
15.95% "Blue radiated psychic energy for others, but touch was where she gained hers back. She was always hugging her mother or holding Noah's hand or linking her elbow in Adam's or resting her boots on Ronan's legs as they sat on the sofa. Touching Gansey's neck just between his hair and his collar.

it makes me incredibly happy knowing all these soft moments happen off page. they are in inexplicably woven together."
October 17, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
October 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Gah, I'm currently reading it, and I don't want it to end. :(

Angie I'm so glad for the level of excitement in this review- I read somewhere that a lot of people were disappointed, but much like you I trust Stiefvater with this (I completely agree about the amount of pressure she must have been through though!) Reading a positive review renews my faith in this in a way :)

Kimberly I'm reading this right now!

Tawny Yaaaay! Really happy that you enjoyed it! I'm reading it now and can also feel the creep factor and I'm loving it :D nothing like having terrified goosebumps in the dark under the covers!

vibraniums i need to jump on the bandwagon soon im guessing

Angela C Cait, I am so glad you've finished The Raven King because I have been dying to discuss it with someone!!!

(view spoiler)

Anna Elizabeth I just finished the book and I have so many feelings. (!!!)

(SPOILERS) I am so disappointed about the Grey Man going off and there being no Glendower. And Noah deserved so much better. But it was SO SO INTENSE towards the end and it was so so so very good!

SakuraPlum ADAM AND RONAN WERE MAJORLY CONNECTED FROM THE BEGINNING OMG that sound so dirty!! Lmao!! Yes *mouth foamed*

SakuraPlum I think Cabeswater took bits of human from who had it tied to and channeling it to ?.Not perfect,yes.But nobody's truly human in this series anymore.

Daniela  (Lost in a Book Blog) I just finished this book and I really don't know what to do now. Like, I'm lying in bed, wanting to read the whole series all over again, even though I practically just did that a couple of weeks ago in preparation for this book. And now... It's gone. I'm depressed it's over. I'm heartbroken it's over. This is one of my absolute, ultimate favorite series, there's no doubt in that. I just wish I had more :( because I know I'm going to miss them so much. I can't wait to reread these books all over again, and meet them again and fall in love with them all over again. Even Adam. Great review! I'll have to give myself a couple of hours before I wrote mine...

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Daniela: I AM THE SAME WITH THE HEARTBROKEN BUT LOVING THE SERIES. I want to re-read. When my physical copy comes I am so re-reading. It is like the best series of my life. *sobs* The final book wasn't perfect, but I still loved it. AHHHH SO MANY QUESTIONS REMAIN THOUGH. ;_;

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Anna: I'm sad about (view spoiler)

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Angela: YAYYYY TO DISCUSS SPOILERS!!! Omg I could discuss this book forever. (And I honestly want to re-read it right now and see if I missed subtle things.) (view spoiler)

Daniela  (Lost in a Book Blog) Yes!!! I was just discussing these unanswered questions with a friend of mine who just finished reading it too. I guess,Maggie warned us about leaving us wanting more, I sure all hell want so much more. More time with the boys, more conversations, more kisses, more answers... But I guess it all come to our imagination and what we want of the story. Sure, this book wasn't perfect, but it felt like closure. I've had a couple of bad experiences with the last book of some series that were just plain disappointing. This wasn't. Even though we're left with questions and wanting, I still feel like I had closure, like everything will be just fine with every single character and their stories, you know? I know this is a book one must reread to understand some things we might have missed in the excitement of reading the book. I know I've found and understood a lot more with every reread I've done with the previous books. I just can't wait to read it again <3

message 15: by Hannah (Ivyclad Ideas) (last edited May 01, 2016 10:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah (Ivyclad Ideas) That point! That first point in your predictions! I too had guessed that it was going to happen, but I was still super disappointed when (view spoiler). :( Is that evil? It feels evil.

message 16: by Finn Longman (new) - added it

Finn Longman I couldn't figure out who you were talking about until I realised you were spelling Gwenllian phonetically because audio. Ah, Welsh. ;)

I had similar thoughts to yours, and to a couple of commenters here. But I'm on mobile as ever and cba with spoiler tags, so mine will have to stay in my head.

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Rain: I thought (view spoiler)

message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Miriam: Hhaha, OMG YES. XD I didn't even TRY to spell the French villains' names because...I have no clue. I actually didn't realise it was "Owain" instead of Owen until recently. And I have a horrible suspicious I'm spelling Artimus wrong? Merp. Blame the audio. Not my fabulous spelling obviously.

(Eeeep, I could Facebook you about it?! :D)

message 19: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth @Cait: I still haven't read this book but I have a freakishly good memory when it comes to spellings and it's "Artemus." :D

message 20: by Finn Longman (new) - added it

Finn Longman Some time soon :) I can't type at the moment and even using my phone hurts so not right now. Heh.

And technically it's Owain Glyndwr with weird accents on some of the letters, but it's anglicised as Owen Glendower, so I think generally the characters say Owen unless they're using the proper Welsh version. Fun fact, I went to a pub called that when I was in Cardiff.

Engie's right that it's Artemus, though. ;)

Sydney EEK I WANT TO DISCUSS SO BAD BUT HERE ALL SPOILERS:

(view spoiler)

Okay that was a lot but I could discuss this book until I'm blue in the face or 80 years old. XD

Angela C Sydney, I think (view spoiler)

Sydney @Angela: Yay I'm glad you agree! (view spoiler)

Emily I LOVED THIS REVIEW. It conveyed approx all of my feelings. I did get quite confused at times after kinda accidentally forgetting a fair whack of the previous plot buut reading those comments from Sydney and Angela has cleared me up a bit. I was a bit disappointed by (view spoiler) Also I totally agree with you (view spoiler) As for the demon, (view spoiler) Again I say, great review!

Amanda (view spoiler)

Alissa Ok, I have no clue how to do the spoilers thing on my phone, so DO NOT CONTINUE READING IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE SPOILED.

A friend of mine had a theory that the "one to not wake" was Glendower. So, Maura wasn't supposed to wake the demon but it was supposed to get woken.. Especially since time was so looped and Gansey felt that especially hard. And if they hadn't woken it then the whole thing wouldn't have happened.. Including Noah whispering those words before he moved on... He hung on for so long so he could complete the cycle. I DIED. I'm dead now. I loved it so much.

message 27: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Alissa: OMG YOU GENIUS. YES. YES I LOVE THAT. That makes so so much sense.

Alice I JUST FINISHED THIS BOOK AND IM CRYING MY HEART IS BROKEN I AM BROKEN. It was so beautiful and yeah, a bit rushed and confusing in places, but over all it was incredible. This is one of the best series I've ever read so thank you for being the person who made me pick it up. My life is changed for the better now that I have these characters and stories in them

message 29: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Alice: SAME SAAAAAAME. OMG IT IS THE BEST BOOK AND IT IS THE WORST FEELING TO HAVE THEM ALL BE OVER NOW. I COULD'VE READ THIS SERIES FOREVER. AFJDKSLAFDJLK

message 30: by Engi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Engi LOVED IT SO MUCH SO MUCH!!!!!! I PREDICTED THE ENDING! I am so sad it's over. I love all those muffins so much!

Katherine CAIT DID YOU SEE WHERE MAGGIE SAID THERE ARE MORE COMING- A RONAN TRILOGY??? *SCREAMS IN JOY*

Christina Canes water understood how to make a human because Blue talked to it and she was part human - part tree-light ❤

Christina * I mean Cabeswater

message 34: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Christina: Hey! Would you mind putting your comment in spoiler tags, please? I'd like for this review to be a spoiler-safe place. :)

Lindsay Spoiler alert!!!!

Okay. First, what happened to Noah????? Secondly, are Blue's lips still death to her true love? Like the prediction that she would kill her true love if she kissed him came true. So is she free to kiss now or is she still dangerous?

Nora Eliana | Papertea & Bookflowers I just finished this book and oh my god how am I still alive?! It hurt to read this perfect creature of a book! So magical and my review is just me rambling about nmy feelings :D
I agree with everything you said in your review and I wish I could live inside this book

Magnus // Well-Read Rebel Didn't it say in the book that Gansey was like..,no longer Gansey, not completely, and that he was linked deeply with Cabeswater? Or something like that?? IDK, maybe I'm dumb lol
Amazing review!

em_is_reading Since I've been home sick, I've recently re-read the entire series all over again lmao

Katie Higgins I just finished this book two seconds ago and I agree with everything you've said and I HAVE TOO MANY EMOTIONS RIGHT NOW TO ARTICULATE HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS SERIES

message 40: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Katie: SAME THOUGH. IT IS A MASTERPIECE AND WE ARE DAMAGED BUT ITS GREATNESS.

The Chocoholic Ughhhh I love this series! Dead welsh kings! Gansey the mother hen! Pynch! I can't wait for the Ronan trilogy!!

message 42: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @The: It can't come soon enough. 😍😍

Linda Should I even bother going into the series if I didn't enjoy the first book?? :(
Please tell me the series get better as the books progress

message 44: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Linda: Dude...I freaking love this series and every single book. If you hate it, don't ask me haha.

marieke You discribe everything just like i have it in my head. I love this, i love the series i love everything about it yes yes yes.

Devanshi I still did not get the part about what the hell happened to Noah?