Bryan Coleman's Reviews > Undersleep

liked it
Recommended to Bryan by: Leslie
Recommended for: poetry students
Read from February 27 to March 02, 2010

Julie Doxsee's poems create a world operating according to the rules of dream-logic. Both exquisite and unsettling, her poems twist the reader with every line break and surprise of language.

Spare, bright, and sharp these poems spark, tossing up unexpected words, making strange connections, inventing vocabulary, and in general, cracking open the natural world and letting us watch it tick. Intimate and worldly at the same time.

However, bluntly I would say a handful of these poems were truly great, while the rest left more to be desired. Some of the poems in this novel simply perplexed me. I had to re-read some of the shorter ones over once more to truly understand them, even though in some instances this action did not help. I can see certain readers truly loving this book and others hating it. The only parts of this book that really annoyed me as the reader was the way Doxsee structured some of her poems. For Example, "To Be Opened After My Death," has some of the longest most irregular spacing for any poem I have ever read. The poem itself was actually enjoyable, but the way it was structured bothered me so much I could not enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undersleep.