Elinor Loredan's Reviews > The River at Green Knowe

The River at Green Knowe by L.M. Boston

Mar 03, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, 2012

Two years ago I didn't get even ten pages into this book, but now I've finished it. Boston certainly shows wonderful imagination and beautiful writing, especially in a passage on page 131:

'When the sun is in the sky, every eye turns away to escape the blaze, but the moon compels sight and thought to follow its course up toward the zenith, with the result that by contrast the height of trees and buildings seems dwarfed. Green Knowe seemed smaller, but at the same time charged with awe. It had changed its friendly old fairy-tale quality for something far older and terrifyingly different.'

But though I like the characters and the humor in the two matrons, this volume in the series has none of the coziness or magic of the first two. I miss Tolly and Mrs. Oldknow's quiet evenings of storytelling, and Tolly's exploring within and on the grounds of Green Knowe, finding more traces of its old inhabitants each day.

I definitely won't reread River, but I will continue with the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The River at Green Knowe.