Sam Taylor's Reviews > Purple Heart

Purple Heart by Patricia McCormick

F 50x66
Mar 03, 2010

Read in February, 2010

Purple Heart by Patricia McCormic is an excellent book that will make you think of what it is really like to be in Baghdad. It is the story of Private Matt Duffy, who wakes up in an army hospital with traumatic brain injury (TBI). He doesn’t understand what’s happening until someone walks to his bed and hands him a box with a purple heart inside it. The story shows his recovery from not remembering anything, and having flashbacks, to him going back to his squad and finding out just how he got his injury.
This story takes place in somewhere far different from America. It takes place in Saddam Hussein’s old palace that has been turned into an American army hospital. McCormic does an excellent job of helping you visualize the setting. After Duffy gets out of the hospital, the story moves to his squad’s tent. Where they play halo, goof around, and sometimes go on missions.
Matt is the main character in the book, and he is laid back. It is kind of hard to really see who he is because he can’t really remember anything. Justin is mats best friend in the army, and he is crazy and always goes after everything. Charlene is who matt has to pair up with when he returns back to his squad. She is the only girl in the squad, but she is probably the toughest out of all of them. Meghan is mats doctor that helps him remember what happened to him, she never really shows herself until she sends matt back out into the war.
The theme of this book is that war can make you do crazy things. McCoromic shows this theme through Justin. I can’t tell you how though or it would ruin the entire book. Another theme of this book is that true friends will always be there for you. This is shown through Justin’s and matt’s friendship.
Overall I think that this is a pretty good book. I would especially recommend it to fans of the war genre. The main reason I liked this book is that something new was always unfolding. I would give purple heart a eight out of ten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Purple Heart.